Bought a new computer with Window's 7. HELP!

ElginetPhotosElginetPhotos Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
edited November 19, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
What a nightmare this is becoming. Nothing works and I'm not very concerned about anything but my PS4, and now it can't see my Nikon files!

Try and find Camera Raw info for Windows 7! It's like....TOP SECRET!

Anyone been through this experience yet that can offer some time-saving advice or am I just walking into the fire?
Bill O'Neill - Media and Fire Photography

Comments

• Kyle DKyle D Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    If you want to be able to see the embedded jpg of what's in your NEF files on a 64 bit operating system (or a 32 bit one for that matter) then I highly recommend checking out the free codec pack from Fast Picture Viewer. It works very well.

Also, I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems with Windows 7. I myself am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and haven't had a single problem with it. Practically every program works fine on it with and the ones that I was having problems with I just told Windows 7 to start them in Windows XP compatibility mode and they now work great!

Also, Photoshop CS4 Extended is working perfect on my end, as is ACR. Have you tried updating PS?
    Kyle D.

Not allowed to enter Henry's alone anymore...

Kyle Derkachenko Photography
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited November 17, 2009
    Kyle D wrote:
    If you want to be able to see the embedded jpg of what's in your NEF files on a 64 bit operating system (or a 32 bit one for that matter) then I highly recommend checking out the free codec pack from Fast Picture Viewer. It works very well.

Also, I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems with Windows 7. I myself am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and haven't had a single problem with it. Practically every program works fine on it with and the ones that I was having problems with I just told Windows 7 to start them in Windows XP compatibility mode and they now work great!

Also, Photoshop CS4 Extended is working perfect on my end, as is ACR. Have you tried updating PS?

Hey Kyle,
    Thanks for the tip. clap.gifclapclap.gif I'm running XP and the Msft Power Toy I had been using with my 20D didn't work in Explorer with the 50D. Installed the FastPicture Viewer codec pack and it's working fine. thumb.gif

Cheers,
  • ElginetPhotosElginetPhotos Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    Thanks Kyle. It's actually working good now, except for the NIKON problem which I'm sure is in the Camera Raw 5.5 update, but there's no instructions anywhere for doing the update with W7. I've tried it several different ways (even locating the original CameraRaw files and replacing them) but no joy.

Time to call Adobe I guess.

This thing is lightening fast with Dual Quads and 9GB of DDDram. I'm dyin to see how it handles the RAW workflow!!!wings.gif
    edited November 17, 2009
    Thanks Kyle. It's actually working good now, except for the NIKON problem which I'm sure is in the Camera Raw 5.5 update, but there's no instructions anywhere for doing the update with W7. I've tried it several different ways (even locating the original CameraRaw files and replacing them) but no joy.

Time to call Adobe I guess.

This thing is lightening fast with Dual Quads and 9GB of DDDram. I'm dyin to see how it handles the RAW workflow!!!wings.gif

To update my copy of CS4 all I did was went to the help menu and scrolled down and then clicked on updates and it updated completely fine!
    Kyle D.

• CynthiaMCynthiaM Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    What a nightmare this is becoming. Nothing works and I'm not very concerned about anything but my PS4, and now it can't see my Nikon files!

Try and find Camera Raw info for Windows 7! It's like....TOP SECRET!

Anyone been through this experience yet that can offer some time-saving advice or am I just walking into the fire?

It's the raw files that you can't see, right? In explorer? Are you windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit? Supposedly, 32 bit is not as much of an issue, but with the 64 bit, numerous camera manufacturers have not written codecs for it. I've given up (Canon user) and just use the Bridge for browsing. You might try the Nikon site to see if there is a 64 bit codec for download.
  • ElginetPhotosElginetPhotos Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    CynthiaM wrote:
    It's the raw files that you can't see, right? In explorer? Are you windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit? Supposedly, 32 bit is not as much of an issue, but with the 64 bit, numerous camera manufacturers have not written codecs for it. I've given up (Canon user) and just use the Bridge for browsing. You might try the Nikon site to see if there is a 64 bit codec for download.

64 bit. Problem's been solved. They have an automated installer for Vista that works for 7. ;-)

I'm in business now!

Thanks
    edited November 19, 2009
    Glad to hear that!
    Kyle D.