Senior Pictures Critique really wanted...

zonaphotoszonaphotos Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited November 18, 2009 in People
This is my first cut at boys (harder to do than girls). So I'm looking for some input on how to improve..

Thanks so much....

1-
714581742_Eyviu-M-1.jpg

2-
714602301_oZrj4-M-1.jpg

3-
714630419_7kHGf-M.jpg

4-
714638992_gM8Mj-M.jpg

5-
714696324_vK3Mz-M.jpg

6-
715192972_xguET-M.jpg

Comments

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    A couple suggestions:

Masculine poses, harsher light and shadows, different angles and focal lengths. Really try and stretch out away from the typical type poses and backgrounds. Use dynamic lighting to create an "atmosphere"...mood if you will. Use the props as an aid.

Just to help clarify the concept..here's an example. #1 you have him as a kind of headshot with a basketball..in landscape orientation. Now, what if you had him with a t-shirt or basketball jersey....you laying on the ground shooting up, camera tilted a bit...harsh light coming in from the left and rimlight (behind him) coming from the right? Having the harsh light brighter than the rim light...then switch it around...how about the rim light brighter and less key. Throw a reflector on his left side..USE SHADOWS. This would provide dynamics to a look, especially if you have his body turned towards the key light then his head towards camera..or even up or down. You'll be amazed at what you come up with rather than taking the "vanillla" type poses. Get radical and try stuff you've never done before....ESPECIALLY if it doesn't work...that will make you figure out what does. As a result, you'll have some killer shots on your hands.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • zonaphotoszonaphotos Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    I see where you are coming from. It's sometimes hard to balance "edgy/arty" senior photos with ones for grandma...
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    For senior pics these are just fine. Great job.
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    The best of the basketball shots is #3 because you do not cut the ball off in the photo. It has the same effect of cutting hands or feet off, just does not feel right.

You do appear to have him very relaxed for these shots so that the smiles do not look forced. Grandma should like them.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    zonaphotos wrote:
    I see where you are coming from. It's sometimes hard to balance "edgy/arty" senior photos with ones for grandma...

Agreed...what I was suggesting was doing both. The funky ones the kids love, the smoother ones grandma loves. In any case, these are nice photos....just wanted to encourage you to stretch out as you may be surprised with what you come up with. A prime example is look at Josh's galleries for colors, comps, tilts, processing and ideas...love his work thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • zonaphotoszonaphotos Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Thanks for the input. I really enjoy the craft of photography and want to find my own "style."
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    zonaphotos wrote:
    ...and want to find my own "style."

Go for it. The last thing you wan't to do is start making everybody happy. That's when you know you're too vanilla.
  • cr8ingwavescr8ingwaves Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Great looking young man and really nice job on his Sr. pics.

My only nit with #3 is the way he isn't really gripping the ball.

2 and 5 are my favorites.