Looking to Convert a camera to IR (In Canada) is it possible?

LexiticusLexiticus Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
edited November 18, 2009 in Cameras
I managed to find another Fuji S5 Pro for a good price (I absolutely love the camera!). And am planning on converting it to IR to replace my IR converted D70. However sending it to the states could be incredibly expensive (Depending on how customs feels).

So was hoping someone would have some knowledge of a place / person in Canada that can do the work?

Thanks!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited November 17, 2009
    MaxMax and LifePixel are the 2 services I am aware of for IR conversion. MaxMax and LifePixel are indeed out of the USA, but I believe that you can order the IR replacement filter from LifePixel and any competent camera repair shop may be able to do the conversion for you.

http://www.lifepixel.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_list&c=1
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • LexiticusLexiticus Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    MaxMax and LifePixel are the 2 services I am aware of for IR conversion. MaxMax and LifePixel are indeed out of the USA, but I believe that you can order the IR replacement filter from LifePixel and any competent camera repair shop may be able to do the conversion for you.

http://www.lifepixel.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_list&c=1

Strange that they haven't updated the list to include the S5 Pro....
    Maxmax has it, and I know lifepixel can do the S5 from previous readings...

I'm still looking, but either my google-fu is weak! or there are no places at all in Canada that offer the service!
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited November 17, 2009
    Lexiticus wrote:
    Strange that they haven't updated the list to include the S5 Pro....
    Maxmax has it, and I know lifepixel can do the S5 from previous readings...

I'm still looking, but either my google-fu is weak! or there are no places at all in Canada that offer the service!

I could not find any Canadian vendor either. I suggest contacting LifePixel to see if they have a recommendation.

(I have a LifePixel converted Canon camera and, while I am the second owner, they did a fine job of the conversion.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • LexiticusLexiticus Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I could not find any Canadian vendor either. I suggest contacting LifePixel to see if they have a recommendation.

(I have a LifePixel converted Canon camera and, while I am the second owner, they did a fine job of the conversion.)

I'm in the same boat as you, my D70 was used, but originally converted by lifepixel.
    I bought the camera converted for less than the cost of converting a camera I already owned. They are the most expensive it seems.

I've found a few closer shipping wise to me, Spencers camera and Jim Chen seem to have a good reputation for converting camera's.

Still looking though!