Fuji Finepix S5200

bsclark_1bsclark_1 Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited November 17, 2009 in Cameras
Hey gang,

I'm a total Newb here. I have been sort of a photobug for several years, and would like to get into it a little more. I would even like to potentially get published in some local magazines and such as well as maybe do some senior/family pictures.

My camera is a Fuji Finepix S5200. It is not a DSLR, but seems to produce good quality shots, and is fully manual if I want it to be. But I have seen a lot of photographers online bashing it.

Since I've seen a ton of awesome work on here, I thought I would ask you guys if you think I can accomplish my goals with this camera, or if I have to wait until I can upgrade. It will be at least a year before I have the funds available for a new camera.

I alsmot hate to ask this to a group of professionals, but hope to hear some good feedback. Also, if and when I do decide to upgrade, can you give me some advice on the best entry level DSLR in the $500 - $600 range?

Thank you!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited November 17, 2009
    Bsclark_1, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

The FujiFilm Finepix S5200 is a fine little digicam with a rather nice zoom lens. It is about 4 years old which is about 2 generations or so in digital Camera terms.

Depending on what you want to do, it can be quite capable. I suggest that if you cannot purchase a new camera for another year, you might as well wait until you can purchase a camera and then ask at that time. The digital selection will be no doubt different a year from now.

As far as dSLRs currently available in the $500-$600USD range, that will purchase an entry level camera and lens, but not much more. I suggest that you may be better served to also look at the digicams that are available at that time.

In the mean time, please feel free to share some of your images from the Finepix S5200 in the appropriate forum and we can probably help with issues you might be having. (We really do have some top-notch folks in these forums.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums