My Family/self Portraits

JessyJessy Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
edited December 2, 2009 in People
I had my family in town with me this weekend and decided to take some pictures. I have a flash that was stuck on camera because I don't have a TTL cord and I didn't have any reflectors. So what you see here is either natural light or fill flash. Enjoy or feel free to let me know what you think :)

4113193551_a62547bdfe_o.jpg

4113962312_d65c824621_o.jpg

4113193867_122e131614_o.jpg

4113193635_c71b8d91ca_o.jpg

and the funny one :)
4113962812_54b94ec6fd_o.jpg

Comments

• sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    I really like that third shot. The expressions (and relaxed poses), the light, and the background all balance nicely in that one. You may be able to boost the exposure touch.

Caroline
  • JessyJessy Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    I really like that third shot. The expressions (and relaxed poses), the light, and the background all balance nicely in that one. You may be able to boost the exposure touch.

Caroline
    Thanks that's my favorite too. ITs very hard to get my family to relax rolleyes1.gif You know i've noticed that for some reason if I make something look "right" to my eye...everyone else thinks its a tad under exposed.

I think I like the darkness but maybe i need to lighten them up a third of a stop for the masses to like it as much as me :)
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    Jessy wrote:
    Thanks that's my favorite too. ITs very hard to get my family to relax rolleyes1.gif You know i've noticed that for some reason if I make something look "right" to my eye...everyone else thinks its a tad under exposed.

I think I like the darkness but maybe i need to lighten them up a third of a stop for the masses to like it as much as me :)

Here's my thinking- If it looks just right on my screen, it often prints a touch too dark. My first reaction was that the exposure is pleasing in that shot.

Caroline
    edited November 19, 2009
    That is so true! I always lighten my pics 1/3-2/3 of a stop for printing. I learned the hard way after printing a few for my walls.

:) Thanks for taking the time to look/comment.
  • CyberSteakCyberSteak Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    Ah...here it is. Ok Jessy...who are you in these photos?
    http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/Default.aspx?id=329340&mp=V1

Canon 40D, 28-135mm, 50mm f/1.8, 10-22mm, 70-300, 580 EXII, ST-E2, 500D Diopter
    edited December 1, 2009
    CyberSteak wrote:
    Ah...here it is. Ok Jessy...who are you in these photos?
    HAH you're too funny! I answered you in the other thread thumb.gif
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    Hi there.

Nice pics, looks like you guys had a nice little walk :D

I'll throw in my 2 cents, if I may thumb.gif

#1. It's out of balance in my opinion. You have the trees on the right "going" towards the center / left of the photo, same with the street + you have 3 people facing with their bodies towards the left ... I think this shot would have been better, if you would have had the 3 people on the left side of the pic (and have their bodies face to the right side of the photo). And shhhht. I am guessing this was mostly a walk and they weren't really prepared to have their pics taken, but it would have been nice if there were no white sneakers involved thumb.gif

#2. Some of the faces are in the sun. I'm assuming you couldn't get into the shade. A stronger fill flash might have helped ... otherwise good composition.

#3. Nice photo. I'd brighten it up a bit ... the second lady for the right looks a bit uncomfortable (crossed hands), but other than that, nice pic.

#4. Nice comp & location. But the sun .... :cry I'd maybe try to smoothen the shadows in post. Otherwise nice pic.

thumb.gif
  • gregmartingregmartin Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited December 2, 2009
    They're good shots, nicely presented thumb.gif

My own take would have maybe to have used the rocks for sitting people on. The last is the best for me, because it show's them all less formally, and as a group of nice people enjoying some time together, it's not as static as the others.

But opinions mean nothing ne_nau.gif , because I'd be pleased with the results you've got.
    Life is really really good. :thumb

EMail : greg_m@hotmail.co.uk
    SmugMug: http://www.gregmartin.co.uk
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2009
    Um... Where is Baxter? is he not part of the family --and where is little Nikolai?eek7.gif
    Liz A.
    _________