My very first Macro bugs ..

GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
edited November 19, 2009 in Holy Macro
In looking at everyone else's bug shots, I realize I have a LONNNNG way to go here, but thought I'd post for some critique anyways.

#1 This guy was about the size of a pencil eraser. A little blurry, but I'm still mastering being STILL.
710668276_UWx5D-L.jpg

#2 Ladybug
710507016_kv3ck-L.jpg

#3 Another very tiny spider, about 1/4" (also blurry) I liked this only because you can see him shooting his web. I'd kill for this to be sharp.
710667594_3JUGb-L.jpg

#4 So deceiving. It looks as though he's sitting on a cement block, but in reality, this was the top of a very narrow steel barbed wire fence post about 1" in diameter. I had nothing for scale. I was lucky to get these at all. :rolleyes
710668071_QUr9A-L.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look. Hope you weren't bored to tears.

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Not bad for first go at bug shots. :)
    Assume these are natural light handheld shots as some are showing motion blur ?
    What shutter speed etc ?

Brian v.
  • GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Yes, natural light and hand held (breath held too).
    ISO 400
    Shutter 1/125
    Ap 6
    Canon Rebel XS
    Canon 100mm L Macro (non IS)
    I have a 40D, but it's so much heavier than the Rebel so I have a more difficult time holding it still. I was in a area where a tripod would have been out of the question anyway, but I can see I may have to rethink that as far as decent Macro shots go in the future. rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the comment, you're the only one. haha
    ~Carrie
    Not bad for first go at bug shots. :)
    Assume these are natural light handheld shots as some are showing motion blur ?
    What shutter speed etc ?

Brian v.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    Few things that may help.

Shutter speed - unless the system is supported in some way you need higher shutter speeds when shooting near 1:1, a good speed would be 1/320th. I rarely use below 1/200th.

Motion - I actually find trying to hold the camera absolutely still nearly impossible, it's actually a bit easier if you do gently sway back and forth when near the focus point and take the shot as you pass through focus.

Support - I don't use a tripod when shooting but do use all sorts of other things. Often a pole I grip in my left hand along with a bit of camera. I also often lean on things or rest the camera on things.

Flash - using flash as the main light source helps a lot as the effective shutter speed is the flash duration which is normally around 1/1000th to 1/10000th sec.

Macro possibly more than any other form of photography takes a lot of practice to sort out and get used to the technical issues (many of my first shots were s lot worse than yours). Keep at it and you will get better.

Brian v.
  • GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    I appreciate all this so much, Brian. Thank you. :)

:D
    Few things that may help.

Shutter speed - unless the system is supported in some way you need higher shutter speeds when shooting near 1:1, a good speed would be 1/320th. I rarely use below 1/200th.

Motion - I actually find trying to hold the camera absolutely still nearly impossible, it's actually a bit easier if you do gently sway back and forth when near the focus point and take the shot as you pass through focus.

Support - I don't use a tripod when shooting but do use all sorts of other things. Often a pole I grip in my left hand along with a bit of camera. I also often lean on things or rest the camera on things.

Flash - using flash as the main light source helps a lot as the effective shutter speed is the flash duration which is normally around 1/1000th to 1/10000th sec.

Macro possibly more than any other form of photography takes a lot of practice to sort out and get used to the technical issues (many of my first shots were s lot worse than yours). Keep at it and you will get better.

Brian v.
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited November 19, 2009
    not too bad, compositions are good. focus/motion blur is the biggest problem.
    brian has already outlined everything:D

phil