The delicate shrub in another image:

716755657_VKMzg-O.jpg
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Something is captivating here...

Initial impression is a wow due to the coloration. Love the tone of green that dominates with the complementary yellow that demands attention. Then I notice the detail in the tree trunks and then the delicate trunk and branches supporting the yellow leaves. The open space on the left with the undergrowth is also pleasing.

Feel like I'm rambling, but it appears simple at first, then detail after detail grabs my attention.

BTW, the title implies another photo of this. Can you post the link as my quick search was fruitless...
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,088 moderator
    edited November 18, 2009
    Thanks rainbow, for your kind and thoughtful response. This image "is" designed to be printed fairly large and does have pretty good detail.

The other Vishnu Springs foliage image is at:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=149940

Both of these are more properly called "renderings" as there is considerable post-processing to make the scene promote the key subjects and to demote the surroundings.
    ziggy53
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 18, 2009
    The processing and saturation certainly makes the shrub pop. I like the ranges of light in the scene as well. The only thing I'm not sure about is that the bark of all the trees is green, and I'm not sure how realistic that is. Maybe that's how it looked though with the light reflecting off all the greenery. Just curious, but were you going for a Velvia film look here, Ziggy?

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited November 18, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    The processing and saturation certainly makes the shrub pop. I like the ranges of light in the scene as well. The only thing I'm not sure about is that the bark of all the trees is green, and I'm not sure how realistic that is. Maybe that's how it looked though with the light reflecting off all the greenery. Just curious, but were you going for a Velvia film look here, Ziggy?

Cheers,
    -joel

Hi Joel. Yes, I suppose you could say that these are Velvia inspired. I am definitely trying for rich and saturated, but also vibrant and luminescent, colors and tones. I'll be printing this on a metallic paper as well.

The concept is rather like Impressionism.

The greenish tree bark is definitely a result of how the greens in general were processed and yes, there must have been a greenish cast in the shadows from the dominant foliage in the scene. I saw it and decided to embrace it rather than correct it. I'm not at all convinced that it is the right decision, but, for now, it is a decision.

I'll post a version with the shadows more neutral as a comparison. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    edited November 18, 2009
    Here is a version with the shadows more neutral to somewhat blueish:

717356440_JsY8j-O.jpg

This caused the shadow tones to go darker, which I corrected by compositing with the original as a "Luminosity" blend.
    ziggy53
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 18, 2009
    Hmm... maybe I like the original better. While the bark looks more realistic, now the tree trunks have more contrast and pop. Usually that's a good thing, but in this case they pull your eye away from the yellow tree focal point. Maybe I should just shut up now. :giggle
    edited November 18, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Hmm... maybe I like the original better. While the bark looks more realistic, now the tree trunks have more contrast and pop. Usually that's a good thing, but in this case they pull your eye away from the yellow tree focal point. Maybe I should just shut up now. :giggle

I appreciate any constructive comments. thumb.gif

I've been over the image a lot and made half-a-dozen "finals". I'm convinced that, while it has some merit, it will never be perfect. It has enough interesting facets that I will follow through with a large print.
    ziggy53