Options

25 Images from the October Acadia Trip

David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,210 moderator
edited November 19, 2009 in Landscapes
25 Images From The Acadia Trip

Here are some of what I thought were keepers from the DGrin/Smugmug Acadia trip this autumn. Stuffjunkie (Kevin) and I drove out from Chicago in separate cars to Acadia. Along the way, we met up with Ann McRae, cmkultradome (Stepahanie), Phyxius (Christina) and Loper (Debbie) and stayed one night in York Beach, ME., near the Nubble Lighthouse. The next morning we had a four car caravan traveling up the coast through Portland (shot the Portland Headlight) and stopped at the Delorme headquarters to see the world's largest spinning globe and to see if they had updated the Naperville area map in the Illinois Gazetteer yet (they hadn't).

We all agreed that L. L. Bean in Freeport was a must visit. After a wonderful lunch/dinner nearby, we were off on the final rainy drive "down east" to Bar Harbor. Sorry about the watermarks in these shots.

Cloudy morning light at Nubble Lighthouse at Cape Neddick, Maine. This was taken the morning following the next shot.
687836141_Wz3AW-L.jpg

Evening light peeks through to illuminate Nubble Lighthouse, Cape Neddick, Maine. That light lasted about one minute at best. Multi-image stitched pano. I know this needs to be cropped more tightly. I just haven't done it yet.
687855631_9kqXJ-L.jpg

Portland Headlight, Portland, Maine. 3 image stitched pano.
694195743_7Z9Pw-L.jpg

Kittery Point, Maine. Golden morning light.
687844125_X6QcQ-L.jpg

Whaleback Lighthouse at dawn's light from Kittery Point, Kittery, Maine.
687844160_9w9FP-L.jpg

Just before sunrise, York Harbor, Maine. On the way home, I located this spot in total darkness on my GPS the night before when I was staying in Kittery. It was only a half mile from where we were on the way up, I later found out. A GPS unit makes a great photography tool. Several other spots I never would have found without it.
687844059_WaG8A-L.jpg

Cruise Ship, Bar Harbor, Mount Desert Island, Maine.
687840574_Ytjqu-L.jpg

Bass Harbor, Mount Desert Island, Maine.
687843817_mvr6y-L.jpg

Old pulleys, Southwest Harbor, Mount Desert Island, Maine.
687843984_c7ds9-L.jpg

Morning light just south of Thunder Hole, Acadia National Park, Maine.
2-stop graduated ND for the sky plus a 10-stop ND to achieve a longer exposure.
687837071_RxAoz-L.jpg

Morning light at Thunder Hole, Acadia National Park, Maine.
2-stop graduated ND for the sky plus a 10-stop ND to achieve a longer exposure.
687854038_FkQNz-L.jpg

Leaves, rock and water under a carriage road bridge. Acadia National Park, Maine. Note to Marc - I did not arrange the leaves on the rock. Should I have?
687837414_RYcF6-L.jpg

Downstream from Jordan Pond, Acadia National Park, Maine.
687838722_t6fkJ-L.jpg

Downstream from Jordan Pond, Aadia National Park, Maine.
687839094_AdVqs-L.jpg

Downstream from Jordan Pond, Acadia National Park, Maine.
687839496_zuKjU-L.jpg

Hadlock Brook Waterfall, Acadia National Park, Maine. Stephanie, thanks for showing us this spot! If you find youself under the bridge to take a similar shot, please wear a helmet. Yes, there's a funny story connected with this.
687836858_AJZSj-L.jpg

Tree reflection from a puddle near a carriage road bridge, Acadia National Park, Maine.
687836402_KtNK9-L.jpg

Delicate light dances off a stream behind roadside information center, near South Stoddard, New Hampshire.
687841786_zSFRP-L.jpg

The colors of trees in Acadia National Park, Maine. Purposely blurred while taking it for the effect. As I was about to lose my Gitzo tripod minutes later, perhaps all my future photos might have turned out like this. Luckily, Stephanie found my tripod an hour later :bow and I was saved from explaining to my wife why another package from B&H might have been arriving so soon; and yet another one from Really Right Stuff.
687840408_zJZLM-L.jpg

Looking south from Bubble Rock, Acadia National Park, Maine. I am thinking I might want to add a walking stick in the man's hand because his stride looks odd without one.
687838500_Gb6WF-L.jpg

Selectmen's Building and Historical Museum, Somesville, Mount Desert Island, Maine. This is one of the most photographed spots on the island.
687838371_7AaEy-L.jpg

Rowboat and dock, Granite Lake, Nelson, NH.
687843228_7F3jB-L.jpg

At Granite Lake, Nelson, NH. There was a landscape light in front of the stump I edited out.
687843574_pMBV5-L.jpg

Massabesic Lake, Auburn, NH.
687841490_oSNND-L.jpg

Old Barn, somewhere along Hwy. 9, New Hampshire. The old worn paint colors on the barn were just dumb luck and made the photo, IMO.
687843693_x3An7-L.jpg

Comments and critique are appreciated.
My Smugmug
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Comments

• Options
    stuffjunkiestuffjunkie Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gif

Nice collection. You did well on your drive home I see, at least imagewise.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    woop, really lovely series, nice, David!
  • Options
    cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Dave-
    It was great shooting with you and Kevin during the shootout. I learned so much!! Beautiful set - my favorites are #11 and #s 15-18. Looks like you had a productive trip on your way home also.

Stephanie
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Beautiful! I won't offer artistic critique, as they all look gorgeous to me. Makes me wonder how I can have lived in MA for 10 years and yet never made it up to Acadia. One of these days....

Thanks for sharing!
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Very nice series, David. You caught some great light and you certainly have a creative eye. That #18 is one of the best photographs I think I have ever seen . . . ever! I absolutely love it! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Excellent work Davidwings.gif

I can tell your putting your heart and sole into itthumb.gif
  • Options
    tony0778tony0778 Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Absolutely stunning. I hope to visit the area sometime myself. The early morning shot have wonderful lighting.
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2009
    Thanks, all.

I wouldn't have thought #18 would have been one of the favorite images in the set, but my eyes must be different. Funny thing about that one — the walk to the river/stream was quite far from the roadside stop. I only knew a river was back there since my car GPS told me it was there. As I was setting up, another photographer was nearby. When I was done I watched as I was walking back up the hill as he slowly went over to the same spot to see what I was shooting and was trying to figure it out. Us photogs are kinda like lemmings, aren't we? Most of us have done the same thing.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2009
    Excellent work Davidwings.gif
    I can tell your putting your heart and sole into itthumb.gif

Thanks, Marc!
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    lfortierlfortier Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    Nice set of images. You certainly covered a lot of territory in this trip.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    Bravo! You did very well! Really nice set.

I am so glad that we met up the day before, sure was great to see you and Kevin!

ann
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    Nice collection of shots David clap.gif
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 19, 2009
    Well done, David. I'll bet you were burning the candle at both ends to get that sweet light present in many of your shots. mwink.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    woop, really lovely series, nice, David!

I couldn't agree more.