Gear stolen

EddyEddy Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
edited November 21, 2009 in Cameras
Hi all have not posted for awhile..i had my Canon gear stolen, Theiving burks, swords, made of with my 24-70, 16-35 both 2.8 l, but left my 300 mm f4, And also took my 1DS MKIII. Ok all this was insured..and i really loved what i had. Talked to the police, the answer i got was logical..they will sell it, The jolly season is upon us, if you plan on taking the camera out ..pls pls keep it safe ..mine is being replaced by the end of the week..thats not the point here.Its the bloody running around i have to do..Oh least i forget make usre you keep everything billS, boxes, filter boxes everything ..GLAD I HAD MINE.. So right now i am using my Leica M8.2 and my pana GF-1
E.J.W

Great understanding is broad and unhurried, Little understanding is cramped and busy" ..... Chuang Tsu

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited November 18, 2009
    So sorry to hear about this. If you post the serial numbers online it makes it somewhat tougher for the crooks to sell the items and certainly easier for people to identify the goods as stolen and report to the police.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • AiredrifterAiredrifter Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Eddy wrote:
    Hi all have not posted for awhile..i had my Canon gear stolen, Theiving burks, swords, made of with my 24-70, 16-35 both 2.8 l, but left my 300 mm f4, And also took my 1DS MKIII. Ok all this was insured..and i really loved what i had. Talked to the police, the answer i got was logical..they will sell it, The jolly season is upon us, if you plan on taking the camera out ..pls pls keep it safe ..mine is being replaced by the end of the week..thats not the point here.Its the bloody running around i have to do..Oh least i forget make usre you keep everything billS, boxes, filter boxes everything ..GLAD I HAD MINE.. So right now i am using my Leica M8.2 and my pana GF-1

I feel your pain. Two years ago we went to my parents' house in NC. We got there around 2:00 AM with all my camera gear and a whole box of computers. I was there to get my parents' little hardware store going with a network and to do some posed family photos. When I got up at 8:00 to start work -- EVERYTHING was gone! About $24,000 worth. Quite a few of their neighbors had also had their windows smashed and stuff grabbed. I was physically sick. It took a couple of months to get the insurance worked out. Good luck. Every police department in NC, VA, and MD had all the serial numbers... never heard a thing.
  • EddyEddy Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Thanks Fellas...its just that i am lost and in a mood. like what did i do to deserve this..anyways picked up my 16-35f2.8 lens my 1DS MKIII will come hopefully friday and the rest next week. I would always carry it with me my camera ...Its because i wanted a shot of the big airbus that flies right over my office in Toronto man this plane is spectacular. the Airbus-380

http://www.flickr.com/photos/news46/3595710313/
    E.J.W

Great understanding is broad and unhurried, Little understanding is cramped and busy" ..... Chuang Tsu
  • TopCatTopCat Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    ... If you post the serial numbers online it makes it somewhat tougher for the crooks to sell the items and certainly easier for people to identify the goods as stolen and report to the police.
    Where does one post this information so that this deterrent can take effect?
    Tom
    Nikon D300 with 16-85 f3.5-5.6 VR, 35 f/1.8, 70-300 VR; Nikon D800 with 24-70 f/2.8, 105 f/2.8 VR Micro, 70-200 f/2.8 VRII, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Dell XPS 17 (8 GB RAM), LR5.3, Photoshop CC
    My Portfolio
    My PhotoBlog
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited November 19, 2009
    TopCat wrote:
    Where does one post this information so that this deterrent can take effect?

My recommendation is to get the word out as far and wide as possible. Try to hit as many photography boards as you can.

At DGrin, I would suggest posting something in the "Big Picture" forum.

I would also personally contact every pawn shop and camera store in the area and every camera club as well. If you saturate the market with serial numbers that can trace the cameras and lenses, it may cause thieves to chose to steal easier, less identifiable, stuff next time and maybe, just maybe, even catch some of these SOB thieves and get them off the streets in the first place. Leaving it up to the police is just giving up in most cases because the lists they publish are impersonal. Make it personal for best results.

Make sure your law enforcement system uses "LeadsOnline" or similar. Every once in a while, they get lucky. If your local law enforcement agency does not subscribe, find a local business that does.

http://www.leadsonline.com/main/default.aspx
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=leadsonline+stolen&aq=f&oq=&aqi=
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited November 19, 2009
    Hi Ziggy ah ok will post my serial number once i get my recpt's back from the insurance(copies )

Thanks for the big help...
    E.J.W

• JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    Eddy wrote:
    Hi Ziggy ah ok will post my serial number once i get my recpt's back from the insurance(copies )

Thanks for the big help...

why do you say keep the boxes filters?
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
    edited November 20, 2009
    Insurance companies in Toronto, want to see as much as they can ..I had B+w filters which cost over 80$$$. Plus for serial numbers on the boxes. This is a first time so my thinking is that ,
    1) they dont trust me./anyone
    2) the more evidence of what i have makes it more easier for me to get back evertyhting i had in the first place.
    3) I even had to give them the original recp'ts not photo copies, which i found unusual.
    4)Probable cause for all this is to call Henrys Cameras. findout excatly what i had..this is comming from the adjuster. thats cool.
    E.J.W

• EthanEthan Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2009
    Make sure you have your camera gear "scheduled" on your policy if you are traveling with it. My insurance company said it's not covered if stolen outside the home unless the camera gear is specifically scheduled on my home owners policy.
  • davemj98davemj98 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    Insurance
    I had so much stuff that the underwriter made my agent come to my house and physically view all my equiptment.
    ne_nau.gif
    Dave
    davidsdigitalphotography.com
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.
  • Fred MaurerFred Maurer Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    Stolen equipt. registry
    One on Photo net

http://photo.net/registry/