Christmas Card struggle! Please Help me decide :)

kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
edited November 18, 2009 in People
Hi everybody!

Just struggling here with my Christmas Photo card! We live far away from family and friends in the States (in Europe), so making a nice photo card is very important to me to keep in touch. I'm going crazy this year because it is the first time I'm really trying to take better pictures.

I would very much appreciate any comments and critique on these shots, as well as on WHICH card you like (if any!).

I have 4 kiddos and my idea for this card was individual shots of each on the front and a group shot on the back. I did 2 different shoots. The first was to get the group shot (which will be used on the back of the card--as well as individs of the big kids) and the 2nd was yesterday with just the baby (to get a Christmasy shot). This will be his first Christmas so I highlighted him on the main photo of the card.

I am including the original shots also so you can see them better for CC. I'm open to ANY ideas and suggestions. I'm planning on having these done at simplytoimpress. They have a double sided UV coated, ultra rigid card that is just gorgeous (and not too expensive). They also have interactive software so you can zoom and rotate, as well as see what your photos look like on different designs. I did work on a PSE template for the card but I think it will be tough to find the doubled sided, UV printing I like so much on that beautifully grand cardstock. So off to simplytoimpress for the good prices with envelopes included (and international shipping yay!)..

So without further ado, here are the various series..and sorry for the picture overload, I just wanted to share the various collections (indiv, group and baby xmas). THANK you so much for looking and I appreciate the CC VERY much :)

Card options:

#0 (a new addition)
CardILOVE.jpg

#1 Front of Card
FavoriteForChristmasNoNames.jpg

Back of Card *this will be the same back design for options 2,3,4
back_preview1-1.jpg

#2 Front
lastcardoptionnonames.jpg

#3 Front
Option4Edit.jpg

#4 Front
Option3Edit.jpg

#5 Front of Card
Option5Edit.jpg

Back of Card
AlternativeBack.jpg

Individual Shots of Baby

Reduced5Evan.jpg

ReducedEvan1.jpg

ReducedEvan2.jpg

ReducedEvan3.jpg

ReducedEvan6.jpg

ReducedEvan4.jpg

Group Shots of the Kids

Reducedkids6-1.jpg

ReducedKids1.jpg

ReducedKids2.jpg

ReducedKids4.jpg

ReducedKids3.jpg

ReducedKids5.jpg

Individual Shots of Big kids

ReducedKaitlyn.jpg

ReducedErik.jpg

ReducedKrista-1.jpg

Comments

• KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    I vote #5 - the green card. I personally like the design and colors of that card better - it's less busy and a cleaner design - but I also think that using general fall/winter photos rather than a holiday-specific photo might be better for a wide range of recipients.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    I, too, vote for #5. The colors, saying and elegant simplicity stand out. Great captures!!
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

Images of Him Photography
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Beautiful kids! I also like #5. The bright and cool Christmasy colors of the baby shots don't meld as nicely with the softer and warmer colors of the other kids and the card. #5 flows so nicely and the group shot you chose is the best one, IMO. I might zoom in a little bit more on the square group...take a little off the bottom and right to get the crop farther away from the kids' ankles...maybe?
    On their own, the baby shots are really cute. thumb.gif The WB does look cool to me.
    Your card will be lovely this year! thumb.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Elaine wrote:
    Beautiful kids! I also like #5. The bright and cool Christmasy colors of the baby shots don't meld as nicely with the softer and warmer colors of the other kids and the card. #5 flows so nicely and the group shot you chose is the best one, IMO.
    15524779-Ti.gif

Your kids all have the same gorgeous eyes.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    One thing that leaps of the card is, where is the rest of the family????

Sam
  • CyberSteakCyberSteak Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Well if you're going with the majority, I think your struggles are over. Number 5 gets my vote as well. VERY nice card. Only suggestion is that at the bottom, "The" and "Family 2009" are seperated. I don't know if this was on purpose. For me it looks like a boo boo.

Otherwise...thumb.gif You have beautiful children btw (in case you didn't already know :D ).

Hmmm...one thing I am curious about though. In number 5, why did you go with the placement of the children where they are? Was it just to have girls on top and boys on the bottom? I'd be more tempted to do it chronologically either oldest to youngest or reversed.

Now looking at it again (I really need to be giving my own pictures this kind of attention). I'm guessing the placement was dictated by the position the children were in. Having them all facing towards the center of the card makes a nicer composition.

Ok...I'm done...really...I think.
    http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/Default.aspx?id=329340&mp=V1

Canon 40D, 28-135mm, 50mm f/1.8, 10-22mm, 70-300, 580 EXII, ST-E2, 500D Diopter
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    CyberSteak wrote:
    Well if you're going with the majority, I think your struggles are over. Number 5 gets my vote as well. VERY nice card. Only suggestion is that at the bottom, "The" and "Family 2009" are seperated. I don't know if this was on purpose. For me it looks like a boo boo.

I'm guessing she just blanked out her family name there...such as "The Smith Family 2009".
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • CyberSteakCyberSteak Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    hmmm...very likely. In that case, I'd want that directly center of the card as oppose to off to the side. But that's just me.
    http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/Default.aspx?id=329340&mp=V1

Canon 40D, 28-135mm, 50mm f/1.8, 10-22mm, 70-300, 580 EXII, ST-E2, 500D Diopter
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    THANK YOU EVERYONE! MakemeShudder, Marjohn, Met, and Kinkajou....thank you for your nice words and comments. It looks like 5 is the winner. I spent the most time on that design actually. It was the original card. I only did the Christmasy shots yesterday and was playing with the new design (which obviously I was struggling with as there are so many versions!).

Elaine you are SO right that it just didn't meld with the other fall colors. If I was going to go Christmasy I might as well make the entire set harmonize. The lone Santa just really stood out. THANK YOU for stretching me!! I see that now. As a result of your pointing that out I got a few more shots tonight that I was happy about. I thought I'd try out a Christmasier version with some new shots. I'd really appreciate the CC if you prefer it. THANKS!!:D Oh and I re cropped the back per your suggestion and warmed up the babe a bit. NOW I'll have a good Christmas/Holiday card, lol!

Cybersteak...Thanks too for pointing out about the centering down below. Elaine was right that I just blanked out the name...but I agree the centering of the family name and year will look better. You were correct in your assumption of why I layed out the kids that way. Their heads just seemed to fall best in those positions.

So now a competitor to #5 which I am moving to a new thread for new views, Laughing.gif! I VERY much appreciate your guys' thoughts. I'm one BIG step closer checking this project off my to-do-list (and actually being satisfied with it!) :)

Oh and thanks Sam for thinking about Mom and Dad! I'm enclosing family portraits in the envelope :D
    Everyone will recieve the 1st photo in BW. They were taken in August but we haven't changed that much.

ReducedFamily1.jpg

ReducedFamily2_edited-1.jpg
  • emeraldroseemeraldrose Registered Users Posts: 324 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    one thing for me is where are the parents? I think your friends and family would want an updated pic of you guys too.

eta: just saw your last post lol