Options

Flash Help Shooting Basketball

dorrisphotodorrisphoto Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited November 19, 2009 in Sports
Hello all,

I need help. Shooting basketball in different gyms is difficult for me. Here is my equiptment:
Canon 40D
Canon Zoom Lens ef70-200mm 1:2.8 IS USM
Canon Speedlite 430EX

Can Someone give me some basic settings on the Camera and Flash that will get me started.

Most of my shots seem to be very orange no matter what ISO i set it to.

I normally shoot in Manual Mode, but would consider differently if someone thinks so.

Thanks In Advance!!

www.dorrisphoto.com

Comments

• Options
    cr8ingwavescr8ingwaves Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    The basketball pics I found in your gallery that had an orange cast seem to all be from Shadyside's home gym......that has orange walls.

the older pics I found at away games didn't have that same orange glow.

do you think that might be one of the issues?

My wrestling settings are AV mode, shutter speed @250 , 85mm 1.8f lens

I really love gyms with white walls. Our home gym has maroon padding and gold upper walls. Almost impossible to not have that golden glow in there.

Alicia
    across the WV panhandle in Washington, PA
  • Options
    tjk60tjk60 Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Are you setting a custom white balance? ISO "lets in light" but does little for the color of light
    Tim
    Troy, MI

D700/200, SB800(4), 70-200, 300 2.8 and a few more

www.sportsshooter.com/tjk60
  • Options
    jamiedjamied Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited November 19, 2009
    my setup:
    EOS 40D + 70-200 2.8 + two 430EX IIs w/ green gel applied fired with remotes. Flashes are set to Manual @50mm and 1/2 power placed via super clamps 12 feet off the floor (in the stands @ ~ row 10) pointed towards the top of the key. ( I found this setup on strobist.com, it works well). Camera is set to ISO 800, 1/250th and aperture 2.8, 3.2 or 3.5. I am still playing with aperture to find the happiest middle ground for the gyms I shoot in, goal is to have metering at -1 stop prior to flashes firing. (The service I shoot for requires ISO 800 b/c anything more @ 300dpi is too noisy). Perhaps its time for a 7D

D10967.jpg

(a rather loose shot, but you can see the flash firing on the back of that kids head in the stands).

As one poster also stated, custom white balance for the win. I green gel the flashes b/c that brings down the color temp on the flashes to be close to that of the overhead sodium vapor lights, the Custom White Balance will give you the finishing touches