Options

portrait

bmoreshooterbmoreshooter Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
edited November 28, 2009 in People
718176411_3ArDU-M.jpg

718176427_pkTxd-M.jpg
This is Mr. Mack. He is 93 years old and still going strong. He's a real gentleman who enjoys having his picture taken. I saw him walking home from the bust stop yesterday in this suit and ask if he would like to have his picture taken one day. He showed up at my studio bright and early this morning. He was a bit upset when I refused to accept his money for the prints I gave him. C&C welcome.

Comments

• Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    Now that is one distinguished looking gentleman! Love the colors in his suit and his partial smile. I really like your lighting. Did you get any shots showing more of his eyes? I bet he's got some stories to tell!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2009
    Eyes
    Yes, I have more showing his eyes but the years have taken their toll and his eyes are very cloudy and discolored. i feel that somethings have to be sacrifised in order to give a person a photo that they feel shows them at their best. These were the two that he chose from the session.
  • Options
    ErikAllasErikAllas Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    Excellent photo! I really enjoy the warmth in the first one.
  • Options
    RidgetopRidgetop Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    For me the color shot is the keeper. The warmth in his face brings out a glow of sorts. Very nice and I'm sure he really enjoyed the prints!
  • Options
    metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    I love #1. thumb.gif I like the tone of it and I like his tie. It seems like he just stepped out of a smoke-filled jazz club in New Orleans. Tres cool.
  • Options
    DionysusDionysus Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    Love them...seems like the sort of gentleman with tons of stories to tell.
    -=Ren B.=-

Gear: Canon EOS 50D, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, Canon 430EX-II Flash
    Galleries: Smugmug Flickr DeviantART
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    Oh, lovely photo & nice story thumb.gif ... I wish I would have the courage to chat up some people on the street like this ...
  • Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2009
    I too think 1's the keeper. Nice work!
    If it were mine mwink.gif ,,,,,, I'd play with the crop some more.
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2009
    D'Buggs wrote:
    I too think 1's the keeper. Nice work!
    If it were mine mwink.gif ,,,,,, I'd play with the crop some more.

This shot has not been cropped at all. It's straight from the camera. The only thing that I could crop out would be a little black space from the top. The black space is intentional. It's there in case I want to print to 8x10 instead of the current 4x6 format. It leaves me some space to crop without sacrificing any of the important elements of the photo.
  • Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2009
    This shot has not been cropped at all. It's straight from the camera. The only thing that I could crop out would be a little black space from the top. The black space is intentional. It's there in case I want to print to 8x10 instead of the current 4x6 format. It leaves me some space to crop without sacrificing any of the important elements of the photo.

Sorry... Thought it was "done" and agree with your thinking. mwink.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2009
    Great portrait! As the man himself, very strong! thumb.gifbowdown.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2009
    Thanks to everyone for their response. It's an important part of what makes this site work so well.
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2009
    I really like the color shot. His appearance is almost surreal, but it's good. thumb.gif