1.6 Crop and a Full Frame Camera

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited November 19, 2009 in Cameras
I have been doing photography for the past couple of years or so. I started with a 400D and I now have a 40D. Briefly can someone please tell me what the difference is between a 1.6 crop and a full frame camera. I was considering purchasing the 7D but I would like to know the benefits I would have with a full frame. I appreciate I have accumulated quite a few lenses since I started but to be honest I mainly use the 70-200 17-55 24-105 10-22 and a couple of macro lenses, 60mm and MPE/65. I take it that the aforementioned lenses would fit a full frame.
Regards
Bob

Comments

• LKN DaveLKN Dave Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    I have been doing photography for the past couple of years or so. I started with a 400D and I now have a 40D. Briefly can someone please tell me what the difference is between a 1.6 crop and a full frame camera. I was considering purchasing the 7D but I would like to know the benefits I would have with a full frame. I appreciate I have accumulated quite a few lenses since I started but to be honest I mainly use the 70-200 17-55 24-105 10-22 and a couple of macro lenses, 60mm and MPE/65. I take it that the aforementioned lenses would fit a full frame.
    Regards
    Bob

Your 17-55, and 10-22 would not fit a full frame. They are EF-s lenses. I think the rest would.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    Regards
    Bob

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=full+frame+vs+crop

mwink.gif:Drolleyes1.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited November 19, 2009
    I appreciate having both crop and full-frame 35mm format bodies. The Canon 5D MKII is a splendid example of a FF Canon body and, except for sports applications, very capable for a majority of situations.

LKN Dave is correct that it will not accept the EF-S mount lenses.

FF bodies tend to give better DOF control in that very wide aperture lenses allow a perspective which enhances limited DOF, and yet FF also tolerates small apertures before diffraction effects become as obvious.

Random noise figures are also better for the 5D MKII and allow exemplary detail in very low light. The 5D MKII also has Live View which shows the full scene without cropping and it has a very competent video mode for "Indie" style video production.

I admit to using the extra resolution of the 5D MKII for cropping and it has the same pixel density as the older Canon 30D crop camera, meaning that if you crop the center to the same dimensions as the 30D it will still have 8 MPix of resolution, which is still plenty for an 8" x 10" print of most any subject and up to 20" x 30" for many other subjects.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I appreciate having both crop and full-frame 35mm format bodies. The Canon 5D MKII is a splendid example of a FF Canon body and, except for sports applications, very capable for a majority of situations.

LKN Dave is correct that it will not accept the EF-S mount lenses.

FF bodies tend to give better DOF control in that very wide aperture lenses allow a perspective which enhances limited DOF, and yet FF also tolerates small apertures before diffraction effects become as obvious.

Random noise figures are also better for the 5D MKII and allow exemplary detail in very low light. The 5D MKII also has Live View which shows the full scene without cropping and it has a very competent video mode for "Indie" style video production.

I admit to using the extra resolution of the 5D MKII for cropping and it has the same pixel density as the older Canon 30D crop camera, meaning that if you crop the center to the same dimensions as the 30D it will still have 8 MPix of resolution, which is still plenty for an 8" x 10" print of most any subject and up to 20" x 30" for many other subjects.

Thanks Ziggy and everyone. I think I will probably have to go for the 7D as I use the 17-55 quite a lot and also the 10-22. The expence is telling me that this is the direction I should go.
    Regards
    Bob