stuff on brand new Canon Sensor?

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
edited November 20, 2009 in Cameras
A friend of mine who is moving into digital photography from film is horrified to see "stuff" like water marks and "dodads" on his images. He's a profes
sional and knows how to treat his gear. It's a brand new Canon D5 Mark II - anyone else heard of stuff on a brand new sensor?? I asked him to double check his lenses as it seemed unlikely to me that it was the sensor... what say you gurus??

Lynn:huh

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited November 20, 2009
    Hi Lynn,

It would be awfully nice if your friend could post a couple of images with links to the full sized images. If there truly is a problem then they should either consider returning the camera or cleaning the sensor.

Depending on how and where the camera was purchased, like maybe it was purchased at a store where it was previously demonstrated, that could lend a clue as to the source of the contamination.

It is so easy to clean sensors, and it is so important to do so occasionally, that if the camera is otherwise a good copy, maybe a simple cleaning is all that is required? We have a few threads that describe the process and make it easy.

Again, I encourage you to invite your friend into our forums and we can help. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Hi Lynn,

It would be awfully nice if your friend could post a couple of images with links to the full sized images. If there truly is a problem then they should either consider returning the camera or cleaning the sensor.

Depending on how and where the camera was purchased, like maybe it was purchased at a store where it was previously demonstrated, that could lend a clue as to the source of the contamination.

It is so easy to clean sensors, and it is so important to do so occasionally, that if the camera is otherwise a good copy, maybe a simple cleaning is all that is required? We have a few threads that describe the process and make it easy.

Again, I encourage you to invite your friend into our forums and we can help. thumb.gif

Hi Ziggy!! yes I do keep inviting him.. hopefully he will join us one day.. he's a great landscape photographer. Anyhow... I suggested he change lenses yet again and see.. and it was not the sensor.. I truly did not think it was as it's a brand spanking new one.... thanks for replying.
    Lynn