Options

Newbie! Tokyo Alley

PMCPMC Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited November 20, 2009 in Street and Documentary
Hi Everyone!

I've been lurking for a while now and have finally taken the plunge and set up SmugMug and Dgrin accounts.

I have been interested in photography since I took classes while I was at school but it hasn't been until recently that I have really made an effort to improve. Living in Tokyo pushed me towards trying street photography and once I got over the weird feeling of taking pictures of strangers I was hooked:D.

You guys really have a great forum going here so I am really looking forward to taking part.

In the spirit of getting stuck in, here is one of my efforts for your thoughts and comments:

[IMG]http://[/img]718776104_AJsdq-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2009
    Welcome !
    Nice BW and composition, looks like guy had to work on holiday too. Interesting to see small shops of Tokyo otherwise i always associate Tokyo with big fancy shops :D
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2009
    I always like to see pictures in first posts. Welcome to DGrin!

I think this shot has some potential but just isn't quite there for me. The man is just a bit too far away and the blank wall on the left takes up too much of the frame. I would suggest a square crop to the left edge of the sign on top to balance things out and bring the fellow a little closer.

The photo is nice, though, and does give me the sensation that this man was alone and forced to work on some special day. Well done. thumb.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2009
    PMC wrote:
    Hi Everyone!

I've been lurking for a while now and have finally taken the plunge and set up SmugMug and Dgrin accounts.

I have been interested in photography since I took classes while I was at school but it hasn't been until recently that I have really made an effort to improve. Living in Tokyo pushed me towards trying street photography and once I got over the weird feeling of taking pictures of strangers I was hooked:D.

You guys really have a great forum going here so I am really looking forward to taking part.

In the spirit of getting stuck in, here is one of my efforts for your thoughts and comments:

Welcome! You've got a really interesting image hidden in here. I think this needs two things - a crop, which I offer, and to be seen big; it loses allot when seen small. I can't wait to see your future offerings.clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2009
    I prefer BD's version, dramatic improvement mwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2009
    I like the bones of this image but the core subject (in my eye) is too far away, even in B. D.'s version. It's too removed to elicit an emotional response for me. But I think playing with a tighter square crop could result in something. Playing with and attempting to compose for square crops can be rewarding. I can't really describe it, but the feeling and the relationship to the subject changes. I also agree that sometimes an image simply needs to be seen big to appreciate its depth. Not sure if this one falls in that category, but experimentation is learning. It might be worth a few dollars to find out.

One last edit to add: Happy to see you on DGrin. Really looking forward to you being part of the community.
  • Options
    NinaNina Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2009
    Hi PMC and welcome. I like what I see here, but have to agree that a closer crop would be my choice too. Look forward to more. Enjoy!
  • Options
    PMCPMC Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2009
    Thanks guys! This was the first time I have ever had feedback from outside of my family and friends.

Now, after I've seen the crop and then look back at my original, I can't help but stare at the big bit of black on the left-hand side and the bottles on the right-hand side. It is a definite improvement--thanks B.D!clap.gif

Like a mother's love, it seems I was focusing on the bits I liked while dismissing the bits I didn't. Photographer's love perhaps...