Options

Dumb 20D question #455

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited July 22, 2005 in Technique
No...i cant find my manual as yet & have googled till the cows came home to no avail.

Im having focus issues guys. I only have 1 red focus dot in my view finder and i assume this is whats causing me the grief all of a sudden.

In the LCD screen there is the 'Metering Mode' symbol. Now should it have the dot inside or not & what does it mean ?

Here is a sample pic...its the 2 half circles in the centre of the LCD.

Comments

• Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2005
    Gus,thats you metering mode symbol for evaluative.No dot partial and blank centerweighted.
    To change focus points hold in the button that zooms and turn the wheel.
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2005
    Gus,thats you metering mode symbol for evaluative.
    Thanks john Do i need the dot inside or not ? I was playing with it & now the dot inside is gone & i cant get it back.

Is this why i only have one red focus dot in my view finder ?

Gus
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Thanks john Do i need the dot inside or not ? I was playing with it & now the dot inside is gone & i cant get it back.

Is this why i only have one red focus dot in my view finder ?

Gus
    I use that mode most often. No its not why.
    I edited my first post on how to change the focus points.
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2005
    Thanks heaps john...i didnt know that i could change the focus points like that.

Im still not fully understanding what you mean by partial/centreweighted though & how i change it back & fwd.

Sorry for all the questions mate but the school has asked me to lob & take some class shots this morning & i need to get this sorted fairly quickly.

I have been messing up a lot of shots lately.
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2005
    Ok...im cool...should be using evaluative.

Now can someone please tell me how to get that dot back inside the metering mode symbol.

[font=arial, helvetica]Metering Modes: You can select from the following metering modes:[/font]
    • [font=arial, helvetica]Evaluative Metering: This is the camera's standard metering mode suited for most subjects even under backlit conditions. After detecting the main subject's position, brightness, background, front and back lighting conditions, etc., the camera sets the proper exposure. [/font]
    • [font=arial, helvetica]Partial Metering: This is particularly effective when the background is much brighter than the subject due to backlighting, etc. This method uses a center area of approximately 9% of the screen. [/font]
    • [font=arial, helvetica]Centerweighted Average Metering: The metering is weighted at the center and then averaged for the entire scene. [/font]
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Ok...im cool...should be using evaluative.

Now can someone please tell me how to get that dot back inside the metering mode symbol.

[font=arial, helvetica]Metering Modes: You can select from the following metering modes:[/font]

• [font=arial, helvetica]Evaluative Metering: This is the camera's standard metering mode suited for most subjects even under backlit conditions. After detecting the main subject's position, brightness, background, front and back lighting conditions, etc., the camera sets the proper exposure. [/font]
    • [font=arial, helvetica]Partial Metering: This is particularly effective when the background is much brighter than the subject due to backlighting, etc. This method uses a center area of approximately 9% of the screen. [/font]
    • [font=arial, helvetica]Centerweighted Average Metering: The metering is weighted at the center and then averaged for the entire scene. [/font]

On top by the wheel that button(looks like the circle with dot) ,hold in and turn wheel:D
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2005
    Ah...thank you so much john. Im complete again....now off to school & then bear hunting again...the leaf eating variety.

Cheers Gus
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2005
    I'm pretty sure this was actually #456.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    I'm pretty sure this was actually #456.
    Sid, have I told you lately how much I enjoy your sense of humor?

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Sid, have I told you lately how much I enjoy your sense of humor?

ginger
    I give him 7/10 G. He will always falter unless i feed him a line.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    I give him 7/10 G. He will always falter unless i feed him a line.
    rolleyes1.gif

FLIPA.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2005
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2005
    Sandy wrote:
    Thanks sandy...got it.