Sunset

AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
edited November 25, 2009 in Landscapes
Here are a couple from this evening. I was out walking and ended up at the Peace Pagoda we have here just around sunset.

719040922_cSfaW-L.jpg

719043559_zcn84-L.jpg

719039190_6uTbX-L.jpg

Thanks for looking.
C&C always welcome.
Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams

Comments

• AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2009
    Interesting.
    No one likes them or dislikes them enough to make any comment. ne_nau.gif
    Any suggestions on how they could be improved?
    Even if its just - they're no damn good, move on to the next subject.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2009
    Thank goodness for the "bump" concept! lol3.gif

I love the crescent moon. Personally I think it's much nicer than a full one. You caught the perfect time of day here, IMO, but my only nits are:

#1) This image has great sky, but I think the trees are too close to the height of the pagoda. Wish there was a way to lower the treeline!

#3) This one is my favorite of the three, I think for the reason above. But dang I wish the moon was farther to the left to balance out the image.
  • OobersOobers Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited November 24, 2009
    No 1 is my favourite as the moon is a nice balance to the pagoda, but there is too much black foreground which detracts from the subjects i.e. the pagoda and the moon. Next is the picture lacks strength if you know what I mean. Try saturating the sky so that you get a good vibrant sunset, deep reds and blues, which is probably what you saw at the time. I realise that noise will be a problem but have a go anyway.
    Cheers

Guy
  • NinaNina Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited November 24, 2009
    The second image works best for me, but I also think that a little more saturation may work well.
    edited November 25, 2009
    schmoo wrote:

You caught the perfect time of day here, IMO, but my only nits are:

#1) This image has great sky, but I think the trees are too close to the height of the pagoda. Wish there was a way to lower the treeline!

Thanks Schmoo. Yeah the treeline is a problem. The pagoda is built in an amphitheater like area part way up a hill with trees at a higher level surrounding it from southwest to northwest - a bit of a devil for sunsets.

schmoo wrote:
    #3) This one is my favorite of the three, I think for the reason above. But dang I wish the moon was farther to the left to balance out the image.
    Definitely my bad. I'd been shooting close ups of the moon & the top of the pagoda. When I reset my position I was so desperate to catch the last of the light that I didn't allow for the moon having moved. 11doh.gif
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

edited November 25, 2009
    Oobers wrote:
    No 1 is my favourite as the moon is a nice balance to the pagoda, but there is too much black foreground which detracts from the subjects i.e. the pagoda and the moon. Next is the picture lacks strength if you know what I mean. Try saturating the sky so that you get a good vibrant sunset, deep reds and blues, which is probably what you saw at the time. I realise that noise will be a problem but have a go anyway.
    Cheers

Guy

Thanks for the feedback Guy.
    I can now see that the largish foreground could detract from the image.
    The colours are actually pretty accurate (this was taken about 35mins after sunset) however I see what you mean about strengthening the image.

Here is a cropped & slightly more saturated version.
    723920208_ZiscK-L.jpg

What do you think?
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

edited November 25, 2009
    Nina wrote:
    The second image works best for me, but I also think that a little more saturation may work well.

Thanks for the feedback Nina.
    I've increased the saturation as per your suggestion, what do you think?
    723920865_mm6RT-L.jpg
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page