Options

My first post here

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited November 21, 2009 in Go Figure
I'm really starting to get interested in portrait photography. Been reading a lot lately on lighting. Unfortunately though, I only have my SB-600 speedlight and no dedicated room or anything to shoot in. My wife was willing to model for me so I gave it a go with just the one light and took some shots in the living room and bedroom. She actually had a great time which surprised me.

I would really love some real honest feedback on these. Like I said, I am a total noob but I did try to apply at least some principles that I've read so far. We struggled with posing but we had fun with it and I think some came out pretty good. Unfortunately, my wife is a little hesitant with me posting any pics of her nude so I can only post a few. Some of these are crops of larger versions that show her breasts and so for. I'm kind of bumbed because the nudes actually were some of the best shots.

Well, enough talk... here's the pics. Like I said, I am really hoping to get some feedback as I really am interesting in improving.

719319088_39YNz-XL.jpg

719318146_ofPZw-XL.jpg

719317187_zaZzV-L.jpg

719316358_CYQRx-L.jpg

719316684_26RL2-L.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2009
    Wierd... I'm seeing artifacts on her skin in some of the shots here but I don't see them in Lightroom. ??????? headscratch.gif Compression maybe?

My Smug Site
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    Considering your limits lighting-wise I think you did pretty good.

I have a feeling you overdid her skin though, looks a bit plastiky, but maybe that's a downres effect...

Of course, the quality of the light source(s) is *the* number one requirement in the studio portraiture. Lighting also comes as the most expensive "item" gear-wise and the most complicated learning-wise. So if you are really planning to pursue studio portraiture I suggest to plan accordingly - and start $aving:-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2009
    Nikolai,

Thanks for your feedback. After I posted this and taking a break, I reeavulated my post work and you're right, I was a bit heavy handed. I started from scratch again on this image so I hope this is an improvement.

719719587_78kcm-L.jpg

I've been researching some lighting equipment and am cosidering a 3 point light setup. I am thinking of going with a couple continuous lights, a couple umbrellas, and a background stand. I would use my speedlight as the 3rd light in this setup. Is this a good start?

There are tons of manufacturers so I am a bit confused as to which to go with so any help here would be appreciated. I am also confused as to what wattage to go with... is more better since I am then not limited to amount of light and can always make adjustments for less light?

Hope asking these questions here is OK? If not, please direct me to the proper forum.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    Nikolai,

Thanks for your feedback. After I posted this and taking a break, I reeavulated my post work and you're right, I was a bit heavy handed. I started from scratch again on this image so I hope this is an improvement.
    It is:-) thumb.gif
    Hope asking these questions here is OK? If not, please direct me to the proper forum.
    Answer is here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=151085
    "May the f/stop be with you!"