Photography for Debut CD

DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
edited November 27, 2009 in People
A local contemporary gospel artist, Jewel Wall, selected me to do the photography for his debut album. He is not on a major label, but he is talented and his CD's are doing very well locally. I felt very honored to play a small role in his work. Here are a few shots from our session.

1. This one is the cover on the CD
719354461_MQBwV-L.jpg

719329851_E8QzM-L.jpg

719329739_KTXPc-L.jpg

719329812_jici8-L.jpg

719329658_h4rQt-L.jpg

719329957_svpRr-L.jpg

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    these are very goodbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbclap.gifclapclap.gif

BUT for CD cases, just like record albums the final product needs to be in a SQUARE FORMAT.......

Album covers really takes some getting used to shooting for......it seems you WASTE a lot of real estate in the viewfinder......I always took some graphics art tape to mark one edge of the photo on my view finder........that way I had a visual marker to work from.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    these are very goodbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbclap.gifclapclap.gif

BUT for CD cases, just like record albums the final product needs to be in a SQUARE FORMAT.......

Album covers really takes some getting used to shooting for......it seems you WASTE a lot of real estate in the viewfinder......I always took some graphics art tape to mark one edge of the photo on my view finder........that way I had a visual marker to work from.

Thanks Scott. I agree about the square format. #1 was obviously cropped for the cover, but it would have worked better if I cropped for a square first. I appreciate your advice. You can see it on his My Space page.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    Really nice images overall. Light is beautiful. #2 really works for me; the juxtoposition of the suit and the surf.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Really nice images overall. Light is beautiful. #2 really works for me; the juxtoposition of the suit and the surf.

15524779-Ti.gif

Nice job all round! The light and colours really pop.
    edited November 22, 2009
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    I like this set! Great light and colors and a nice variety in mood. My faves are 1, 2, 6. Nice job! clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited November 23, 2009
    Elaine wrote:
    I like this set! Great light and colors and a nice variety in mood. My faves are 1, 2, 6. Nice job! clap.gif

Thank you Elaine.
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2009
    Hey David...nice, nice...as usual. Are you still shooting your 20D...just wondering...

You certainly have a knack for the light...wow.

I like two and 6...six especially looks like cover work. The contemplative man...walking on the beach...very nice. And, it would work in a square format.

The name of his first album may make all the difference in what image is selected for the cover shot. Do you know what the name of his CD will be?
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
    edited November 27, 2009
    Ed911 wrote:
    Hey David...nice, nice...as usual. Are you still shooting your 20D...just wondering...

You certainly have a knack for the light...wow.

I like two and 6...six especially looks like cover work. The contemplative man...walking on the beach...very nice. And, it would work in a square format.

The name of his first album may make all the difference in what image is selected for the cover shot. Do you know what the name of his CD will be?

Hi Ed. Thanks for the feedback. This was shot with my 20D. The name of the Album is "The Transformation of a CHRISTian."
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2009
    Great Series clap.gif

Take Care,
    Charles
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Mohamed.GhuloomMohamed.Ghuloom Registered Users Posts: 305 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2009
    They are nice, I liked the edited cover shot on MySpace
    Mohamed Photos
    Give a Message
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2009
    Given the title, 6 is got some good vibes -- whole walking on water thing....
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2009
    Well done David. I absolutely love #2...that is cool....wow, a keyboard on the beach.....a new song in the making..Laughing.gif!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited November 27, 2009
    Thanks for the encouraging words, Charles, Mohamed, Andrew and Swartzy.

I really the one with him walking by the beach as well Andrew. The color on that stood out to me, the white linen, blue water and dark skin. The keyboard was his wife's idea. I liked those as well. I helped carry it. It was a bear to carry up the dune.