D700

emeraldroseemeraldrose Registered Users Posts: 324 Major grins
edited November 24, 2009 in Cameras
So I just got the D700 and nikkor 24-70 2.8 from rentglass.com and LOVE IT.:ivar:clap:barb:bow The only complaints I have so far it that's it's heavier than I'm used to (taking it to mean that the 6 days I have till the wedding needs to be spent carrying this thing around... oh darn :D) and the shutter is LOUD. So does anyone have advice on how I can reduce the sound? I don't know if maybe there's a setting to at least reduce it. I know I won't get rid of it, but don't know if a setting makes it louder or not. Just afraid of ruining the ceremony with the sound.

Thanks

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    So I just got the D700 and nikkor 24-70 2.8 from rentglass.com and LOVE IT.:ivarclap.gifwings.gifbow The only complaints I have so far it that's it's heavier than I'm used to (taking it to mean that the 6 days I have till the wedding needs to be spent carrying this thing around... oh darn :D) and the shutter is LOUD. So does anyone have advice on how I can reduce the sound? I don't know if maybe there's a setting to at least reduce it. I know I won't get rid of it, but don't know if a setting makes it louder or not. Just afraid of ruining the ceremony with the sound.

Thanks

You will in no way ruin the ceremony with the shutter sound. Do not worry about this.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • emeraldroseemeraldrose Registered Users Posts: 324 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    You will in no way ruin the ceremony with the shutter sound. Do not worry about this.

Since you have this exact set up I will take your word for it and thank you for it. Guess it's just louder than I'm used to, at least so close to my ear lol. A 4x5 can be just as loud, just further away lol.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited November 21, 2009
    Since you have this exact set up I will take your word for it and thank you for it. Guess it's just louder than I'm used to, at least so close to my ear lol. A 4x5 can be just as loud, just further away lol.

I agree that you should not be concerned about the shutter noise during a wedding ceremony. Act professionally and you will not have any concerns.

I did get one person who looked funny at me during a ceremony and I think she was going to say something, but I "shushed" her before she said anything and I didn't have any further problems with her. (Sometimes you have to be a little proactive. mwink.gif ) I'm there to do a job for the bride and groom and I'll be darned if anyone spoils that task for me.

I have never had a minister or priest mention anything about me being too noisy and I've shot weddings of some sort for around 40 years.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    If you think the D700 shutter noise, which actually is the Mirror slap I bet, is loud then you really need to be at a wedding when a medium format camera is fired.....think of this a 2 1/4 inch square mirror slapping up and down.....or a 2 1/4 X 2 3/4 inch mirror slapping up and down during the ring ceremony or during one of the many prayers of a Catholic Ceremony........

Only those sitting next to you will really notice the sound.....to rid yourself of the noise you can lock the mirror up but then you cannot focus...............

That is why a lot of PRO wedding Photogs shot twin lens camera's ......such as the ROLLIEFLEX'S and MAMIYA C330'S, YASHICA MAT124'S...........no shutter or mirror noise......leaf shutters are fantastic but damn expensive..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Sil3ntp8nd8Sil3ntp8nd8 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    They do have these sound box enclosures when they shoot photo's during a movie set. But I wouldn't use one of those outside of the set. One thing that you can do is turn off the AF beep. For sports like golf, where people expect it to be somewhat quite, I find that turning off that beep makes a difference. Theres a little dot in the corner that tells you if your focus is locked.
    edited November 21, 2009
    They do have these sound box enclosures when they shoot photo's during a movie set. But I wouldn't use one of those outside of the set. One thing that you can do is turn off the AF beep. For sports like golf, where people expect it to be somewhat quite, I find that turning off that beep makes a difference. Theres a little dot in the corner that tells you if your focus is locked.

Yes, I forgot about the AF confirmation beep. Sil3ntp8nd8 is correct and I do recommend that be turned off.
    ziggy53
    edited November 21, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    If you think the D700 shutter noise, which actually is the Mirror slap I bet, is loud then you really need to be at a wedding when a medium format camera is fired.....think of this a 2 1/4 inch square mirror slapping up and down.....or a 2 1/4 X 2 3/4 inch mirror slapping up and down during the ring ceremony or during one of the many prayers of a Catholic Ceremony........

Only those sitting next to you will really notice the sound.....to rid yourself of the noise you can lock the mirror up but then you cannot focus...............

That is why a lot of PRO wedding Photogs shot twin lens camera's ......such as the ROLLIEFLEX'S and MAMIYA C330'S, YASHICA MAT124'S...........no shutter or mirror noise......leaf shutters are fantastic but damn expensive..........

I shot a wedding with a Hasselblad 500C once. The focal plane shutter and mirror slap of that beast is truly noisy. I decided it was better to use it just for the formals, and to continue using the Mamiya C330 for the ceremony. (The Mamiya was also easier to load, which was critical when you only have 12 shots per roll. (I had occasional film scratches with the 24 exposure rolls, so I wound up using mostly 12 exposure rolls instead.))

Thanks for the trip down nostalgia lane. clap.gif
    ziggy53
  • emeraldroseemeraldrose Registered Users Posts: 324 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    oh yeah already turned off the af beep, no need for that. It's been a few years since I've used a medium format so I guess I'm just not used to it anymore. Thanks all.
  • StevenSzaboStevenSzabo Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    as a side note, the D3s has a "Quiet" shutter mode. I can't wait to pick mine up and see how much of a difference there actually is...GAH...one more week(according to the store...although I'm not holding my breath)
  • studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2009
    as a side note, the D3s has a "Quiet" shutter mode. I can't wait to pick mine up and see how much of a difference there actually is...GAH...one more week(according to the store...although I'm not holding my breath)

Presumably there will be a D700s with the same ISO performance as the D3s before too long?
    edited November 22, 2009
    theoretically yes...it will most likely lose the dual card slots, the 11 fps, the massive buffer, and a couple of the other toys.

Who knows though...nikon may tone it down a bit just to keep the D3s as that much better.
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2009
    studio1972 wrote:
    Presumably there will be a D700s with the same ISO performance as the D3s before too long?

Late summer if it is the same gap that the D3-D700 had.
    edited November 24, 2009
    Late summer if it is the same gap that the D3-D700 had.

Earlier than that I would say considering the D700 has already been rumoured to be being discontinued...

as a side note, apparently the 70-200 VRII is showing up in stores
    http://nikonrumors.com/