1)
719613001_CZfJp-XL.jpg

2)
719613314_ggZNp-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    These are two excellent shots, Jennifer. The thing I find most striking about number one is the B&W conversion. There is, to my eye anyway, a wonderful range of tones in the bicycle and it's cargo. The composition is great and I really get a feel for the difficulty of the task ahead of the 'pusher.'

Number two didn't hit me all at once like the first did. After a bit more looking I decided that I did like the little girl in the center who appears to have struck out on her own. I like the way she seems far more purposeful in her mission than any of the adults around her. I do wish the couple on the left wasn't looking at you, though.

I definitely think number one is the stronger of the two, though. Well done. thumb.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    Your conversions are super. I really like the bicycle shot. I like how it tells a complete story by the way the focus is on the food and, as Travis said, the task ahead of him is obvious. The depth of field works well here.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    I love both these shots. The first one captured my attention with the hot wok being wheeled down the street. I am even afraid to carry one ten feet from my stove to the sink while he customarily wheels it everywhere. And it feels as if he is seeking greener pastures.

The second one captures the feel of the open market well. Everyone is casually engaged in their business while the child just moseys about her own business. Your lower perspective really helped this shot.
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2009
    Thanks for the very supportive feedback guys. The tones in the bamboo steamers really caught my eye too as well as the single child running through the market against the multiple sets of two's. Travis, I really think the pair on the left are looking past me. But hey, I've been spotted before.

As to the conversions. Others have asked and there isn't any magic involved. I generally shoot with B&W in mind (albeit in colour RAW), but almost every conversion is done in Aperture. No plug-ins and nothing special. Experimentation is fun and non-destructive editing even more so. The one piece of advice though is that "more contrast" doesn't always mean advancing the contrast slider.