Options

#38--"Daily Grind"

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited November 22, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Was shooting for the PJ forum and I wanted to capture a shot of the daily grind-the commute--this was shot inside the subway station--it's dimly lit.
I don't have full command of my camera yet and I shot this with too low a shutter speed--and this is what I got. SOOC.

719701088_xGAQG-XL.jpg

Any thoughts?
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    First I had to look up what the PJ forum was. Just goes to show how little I know. I didn't even know there was one. Great ... now I'll never get off my computer, another cool forum to read.

I'm still not sure I think of this as an oops shot. It's a really cool looking effect though. I already know that many will disagree with me on this interpretation however.
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    I really like this, and I was thinking of doing something with motion blur also....

but you have topped me already, mine would have not looked this cool...your grain/noise looks great!
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2009
    dlscott56 wrote:
    First I had to look up what the PJ forum was. Just goes to show how little I know. I didn't even know there was one. Great ... now I'll never get off my computer, another cool forum to read.

I'm still not sure I think of this as an oops shot. It's a really cool looking effect though. I already know that many will disagree with me on this interpretation however.

Well glad I introduced you to it then---I hang out there, here and Cool Shots for the most part.

I haven't been able to think of much else--I have one more idea--but I actually like the way this one looks--

The interpretation for this challenge will likely be all over the place--so maybe it will work.

Thanks for looking and commenting.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2009
    I really like this, and I was thinking of doing something with motion blur also....

but you have topped me already, mine would have not looked this cool...your grain/noise looks great!

Thanks Aaron and glad you like it.
    Let's hear it for the kit lenses in low lightmwink.gif .
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    I think this is a very cool photo.

- May I ask why do you call this a "oops"?
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2009
    I really like this one, Liz! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2009
    photo-bug wrote:
    I think this is a very cool photo.

- May I ask why do you call this a "oops"?

Thanks Tatiana,

It's an oops because the camera is on the wrong shutter speed--much too slow for "catching the scene" , the motion blur is unwanted and accidental--but I thought would work for this--
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2009
    WhatSheSaw wrote:
    I really like this one, Liz! clap.gif

Thank you :)
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2009
    First, I really love this picture. There is something existential about it. "Who am I? Where am I going? Is there any purpose to our lives?"

Looking again, I see shadows moving into the light. This opens up a whole other set of interpretations.

For the challenge, though, I am not so sure.

We know it is an "oops" because you told us. But the picture could just as easily have been planned this way to capture a feeling about traveling in the subway, or about life in general etc.

That is the difficulty in choosing to interpret the theme as an "oops" by the photographer and not an "oops" captured in the action within picture itself.

It's like having a double challenge!! A worthy one, though.

I think that your title will be very important. I don't have any suggestions at the moment, but I'm sure others will have some neat ideas.

I will add that, sometimes, when an entry is really strong and appealing, the link to the theme can be weaker in the eyes of many and the entry will still do very well. So much depends on how the judges (and then the membership) interpret the theme and how they respond to the photograph.

Good luck with this or whatever you enter!!

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    First, I really love this picture. There is something existential about it. "Who am I? Where am I going? Is there any purpose to our lives?"

Looking again, I see shadows moving into the light. This opens up a whole other set of interpretations.

We know it is an "oops" because you told us. But the picture could just as easily have been planned this way to capture a feeling about traveling in the subway, or about life in general etc.

That is the difficulty in choosing to interpret the theme as an "oops" by the photographer and not an "oops" captured in the action within picture itself.

I think that your title will be very important. I don't have any suggestions at the moment, but I'm sure others will have some neat ideas.

I will add that, sometimes, when an entry is really strong and appealing, the link to the theme can be weaker in the eyes of many and the entry will still do very well. So much depends on how the judges (and then the membership) interpret the theme and how they respond to the photograph.

Virginia

This what I meant too - it's the same as with my motion blurred image... or it's not? rolleyes1.gif

I like it anyway :D
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2009
    photo-bug wrote:
    This what I meant too - it's the same as with my motion blurred image... or it's not? rolleyes1.gif

I like it anyway :D

I thought of that this morning as I woke up believe it or not--
    This was my thought--
    I read your explanation of why it was an oops shot but then you PPd it to look like a watercolor--I like the image, but to me at the time the treatment took away from the "ooops"--so it no longer looked like an accidental "almost missed" shot. Now having said that--you were also the first out of the gate, and it was my intial reaction to seeing the shot--I read all the rest of the comments on your thread and other people loved it as is and thought it fit the theme.

Ok so now I have to ask--do you think it's too close to your shot?
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:

Virginia

Virginia,
    You are carrying over your PJ C&C over here and I love it.
    I'm glad you see all that in the shot--
    To me it reminds me of some of my dreams sometimes --Yes I dream about commuting on the subway, especially after a particularly stressful commute (trains stuck in the tunnels for an hour, sick passengers on the train, a particularly disturbing homeless person, a fight).
    Or sometimes I have a bad day and i'm in a daze--well this fits the bill--that's kind of how I feel.

I don't know that it works or doesn't work for the challenge- I'm a little at a loss--but thought this might work--I'm really glad you like it.

I'm having an issue though--when I go to smugmug though I just noticed that the date taken is a bunch of 00000headscratch.gif
    If I can't figure out how to fix that I may not be able to enter it anyway--I don't recall exactly when I took it--just sometime last week. Hey can that be considered an oopsrolleyes1.gif .

Again I appreciate your in depth review of this shot.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2009
    Actually, I don't think that Tatiana's picture and yours are too much alike at all.

I like Tatiana's because of the art work she did - but, for me, it needs a strong title to work for the challenge. Especially since she "saved" the oops with the water color treatment. (your point is well taken on that, Liz.)

Yours is an entirely different photograph for me. The content works well with b&w, the grain and the blur - for me these aspects make the picture. (Though I am sure that the one you intended would have been good too.) My emotional response is different. With yours, I am responding to perceived meaning not pretty colors.

Just because the "oops" factor was similar for both shots doesn't make the two pictures the same at all. It is one valid interpretation of the theme so lots of folks are bound to try it.

I do think that finding a strong title for the "oops by the photographer" entries will help.

Finally, there have never been a rule in the challenges that says that the first person to come up with an idea has the field.

As always, just my 2 cents worth. My record for picking winners in these challenges is not very stellar. rolleyes1.gif

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2009

I'm having an issue though--when I go to smugmug though I just noticed that the date taken is a bunch of 00000headscratch.gif
    If I can't figure out how to fix that I may not be able to enter it anyway--I don't recall exactly when I took it--just sometime last week. Hey can that be considered an oopsrolleyes1.gif .

Darn!! You will need to have a valid date showing the exif or the shot will be disqualified. Even though it most certainly qualifies as an "oops!"

Does the date normally show in the exif data of the shots you upload to SmugMug?

Good luck resolving the issue.

Email
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2009
    I thought of that this morning as I woke up believe it or not--
    This was my thought--
    I read your explanation of why it was an oops shot but then you PPd it to look like a watercolor--I like the image, but to me at the time the treatment took away from the "ooops"--so it no longer looked like an accidental "almost missed" shot. Now having said that--you were also the first out of the gate, and it was my intial reaction to seeing the shot--I read all the rest of the comments on your thread and other people loved it as is and thought it fit the theme.

Yes, indeed it's hard to know if this kind of photos can be considered oops or very good photos.

The comments on my image are supposed to be for everyone who's here to learn, not only for me.

I know that my image has been accepted as a possible oops, when I rotated it, but I'm still not sure,
    about this. I asked you thinking that you may have had some other reasons to consider yours a oops.

Confusing, isn't it? mwink.gif

Ok so now I have to ask--do you think it's too close to your shot?

No, not at all - I took my idea from a very talented photographer in the dailies: Richard Kane,
    who uses this style a lot. Although, I'm far from his performances, I just thought to give it a try...

http://richardkane.smugmug.com/

I started to like this style and I'm very tempted to do some more (I did as a matter of fact), but
    because they can be so nice, I'm not sure they can be considered oops-es... rolleyes1.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2009
    BTW:

Thank you so much Virginia for helping us thumb.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Darn!! You will need to have a valid date showing the exif or the shot will be disqualified. Even though it most certainly qualifies as an "oops!"

Does the date normally show in the exif data of the shots you upload to SmugMug?

Good luck resolving the issue.

Yes it always shows in smugmug--I've had issues when I transferred it to the gallery in the past--but this is in my smugmug folder--hmmm--I will try to download it again from my harddrive where it's stored.

If not then it won't matter if the shot is ooops or not:D . Hope I can fix it.

EDIT--just saw your other post--thanks for your input Virginia--much appreciated.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2009
    photo-bug wrote:
    Yes, indeed it's hard to know if this kind of photos can be considered oops or very good photos.

The comments on my image are supposed to be for everyone who's here to learn, not only for me.

I know that my image has been accepted as a possible oops, when I rotated it, but I'm still not sure,
    about this. I asked you thinking that you may have had some other reasons to consider yours a oops.

Confusing, isn't it? mwink.gif
    http://richardkane.smugmug.com/

I started to like this style and I'm very tempted to do some more (I did as a matter of fact), but
    because they can be so nice, I'm not sure they can be considered oops-es... rolleyes1.gif

Yes confusing --but it's all good.

Thanks sharing RichardKane's site--I just took a look at it--it's enviable.
    So much to learn still.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2009

I've had that happen to me in the past. In my case is was something to do with the way I saved it from PP. Not in the transfer to SmugMug. You may want to check it locally on your hard drive first to see if the problem is there.

Hope you get it worked out. It's a great shot.
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2009
    dlscott56 wrote:
    I've had that happen to me in the past. In my case is was something to do with the way I saved it from PP. Not in the transfer to SmugMug. You may want to check it locally on your hard drive first to see if the problem is there.

Hope you get it worked out. It's a great shot.

I uploaded again--and I'm good. I can use this shot! yeay!
    Thanks for the comments all.

Now to come up with a better title. hmmm.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:

Virginia

Virginia,
    I hope you don't mind but I used your "Existential" analysis of this shot as part of my title--- I called it "kit lens and low light equals existential dream" kind of long, but I like it--Thank you for the idea.
    Liz A.
    _________