NAF El Centro CA

PhotozzPhotozz Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
edited November 24, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Spent a day shooting on the edge of the runway out at NAF El Centro. Can't get much closer than this without the planes hitting you :D

Thanks to the Navy for providing us with this opportunity!

719649175_vjx3A-XL.jpg

719648615_gDw7d-XL.jpg

719647818_84KxU-XL.jpg

719647977_qS9WL-XL.jpg

Comments

• rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    That must have been a wonderful and fun opportunity. I enjoy the shots. The first one is the best as it reminds me of "Top Gun" when they are launching the jets at dusk or dawn with the flames shooting out the back to convey the power in these jets.
  • PhotozzPhotozz Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    rainbow wrote:
    That must have been a wonderful and fun opportunity. I enjoy the shots. The first one is the best as it reminds me of "Top Gun" when they are launching the jets at dusk or dawn with the flames shooting out the back to convey the power in these jets.

I agree, here is one more that I really like.

719759096_up7UN-XL.jpg
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    Another nice one!

So how close/far are you (and what length lens?). Do you feel the rumble of the jets throughout your whole being (worse than a lowrider with the bass on full blast)?
    edited November 21, 2009
    rainbow wrote:
    Another nice one!

So how close/far are you (and what length lens?). Do you feel the rumble of the jets throughout your whole being (worse than a lowrider with the bass on full blast)?

We were literally standing right on the edge of the runway. I was wearing earplugs plus a set of muffs over that and it was still LOUD. It shakes you to the core when they launch with full afterburners.

I rotated between lenses, side shots where with a 10-22mm and most others where 70-200mm.
  • JChurillJChurill Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    Simply excellent! Sweet lighting!
    Blending The Arts!
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    You have some really good shots here. You got to take advantage of a great opportunity. I once was invited to spend a day on the USS John Kennedy to watch flight operations from the Captain's private deck. Like you in this case, I was right on top of the action. I think I shot about 10 rolls of Velvia.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    What an opportunity -- one I surely wouldn't turn down :D

Your photos are just awesome thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

What camera did you use?
    edited November 22, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    What an opportunity -- one I surely wouldn't turn down :D

Your photos are just awesome thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

What camera did you use?

All were shot with a Canon 40D and lenses used were 10-22mm & 70-200 F4L. The shot of the T45 banking in was taken with a 400mm F5.6L prime lens.
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2009
    A rare opportunity, and you took good advantage of it!
    Randy
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2009
    Photozz wrote:
    All were shot with a Canon 40D and lenses used were 10-22mm & 70-200 F4L. The shot of the T45 banking in was taken with a 400mm F5.6L prime lens.

Thanks for letting me know thumb.gif
  • RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2009
    Very nice shots....clap.gif

Back in the day, spent a bunch of time around fighters... I miss the smell of jet fuel in the morning.
  • MilanMilan Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2009
    thumb.gif Great shots. #1 is my favourite, but I like them all.
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2009
    clap.gifclapclap.gif azzaro
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2009
    Howdy,

What a great series of images, can't even imagine the thrill of just being there much less getting to capture it.

Excellent shots, but love that first shot, really sweet with the Afterburner kicking in!!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • sixdaemonbagsixdaemonbag Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    I loves me some aircraft photos, and that's a great place to shoot, A little later in the year the Blue Angels train there (winter quarters)

MCAS Yuma (about an hour from NAF El Centro east on I-8) is another place to take some awesome shots. The Yuma County fairgrounds are just across the street from the runway and there's a ditch running along the larking lot where you can get high enough to have an unobstructed view of the tarmac. Spent a lot of time watching planes from there as a kid.
  • alexfalexf Registered Users Posts: 436 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2009
    Nice set!
    AlexFeldsteinPhotography.com
    Nikon D700, D300, D80 and assorted glass, old and new.