Surf n Turf

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited November 23, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Went to the local market and found this in their seafood section.
Is it just me or is that one fish dead? C&C appreciated.

719703122_ddQbR-XL-1.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• JwarJwar Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    that's how they sleep?ne_nau.gif
    Jay

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
    Kinky Friedman
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    Jwar wrote:
    that's how they sleep?ne_nau.gif

Laughing.gif--maybe one of the fishermen in the forum will confirm this.
    My money was on dead--but shouldn't he be floating up top?
    Liz A.
    _________
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    I've seen fish do this just before they die or have just died. Although I'm no expert on fish death.
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2009
    Howdy Liz,

Really an intersting image, love the processing, but I think that cropping the image right before the dead fish would make for a much stronger and more appealing image.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • KiloKilo Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2009
    Yeah, it's either dead or dying. Fish sleep right-side up and still.
    ʞ1└0
  • RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2009
    My scratch and sniff monitor confirms it's dead.

Interesting shot though...
    edited November 22, 2009
    Thank you all for looking and commenting and confirming my suspicion.
    Funny the shot wasn't so much about the dead fish, but more about the shot of the legs and the fish at knee level--I just like the juxtaposition of this shot--but that's what I get for asking about the dead fish:D .
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited November 22, 2009
    Panther wrote:
    Howdy Liz,

Really an intersting image, love the processing, but I think that cropping the image right before the dead fish would make for a much stronger and more appealing image.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Craig-
    I did re crop this and I like it better--thanks for the suggestion.
    719703122_ddQbR-XL-4.jpg
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited November 22, 2009
    I'm glad to see you removed the dead fish and the blood or what ever the red stuff was on the left side of the photo.

Good job thumb.gif
  • CoryUTCoryUT Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2009
    I like the crop much better. Cool image, Liz! Those are some weird looking fish.
    Daily Shot
    My Photographic Adventures

Nikon D7000 | 10-20 | 50 | 55-200
    edited November 22, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    I'm glad to see you removed the dead fish and the blood or what ever the red stuff was on the left side of the photo.

Good job thumb.gif

:) You can tell how long I've been spending over on the PJ forum--I thought it added to the image, lol. But I admitt it does look better cropped tighter like this--
    Thanks Craigthumb.gif

Wish I had a huge wide angle to be able to get all the snakes and frogs kept in plastic buckets in the open--and something that looked like a cross between a centipede and a lobster. This market is so cool--gotta revisit.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited November 22, 2009
    CoryUT wrote:
    I like the crop much better. Cool image, Liz! Those are some weird looking fish.

The whole place is cool--except right on the left where the blood was--they had all this dead fish on ice that looked gutted--blood everywhere, parts hanging out--looked like bait or something.
    I just really liked the high heeled boots and fish)

Glad you like it. Thank you.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited November 22, 2009
    Liz this is a good photo. I too like the combo of boots with fish thumb.gif

You do need to head back there.... lots of photos to be had with everything that you mentioned. I look forward to seeing some of them.
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2009
    In my experiences with fishing... after a fish is severely injured or exposed to too much air, they go into shock, sink to the bottom, flip over, and eventually float to the top. It looks as if your dead fish is in the middle of accepting death :D...

Oh, and I was eating an egg roll as I read, "The whole place is cool--except right on the left where the blood was--they had all this dead fish on ice that looked gutted--blood everywhere, parts hanging out--looked like bait or something." ... almost wanted to spit it out, but it tasted sooo good. And I don't mind fish guts that much being the avid fisherman I am.

Cool shot!
    Jeremy
    Jer
    edited November 22, 2009
    In my experiences with fishing... after a fish is severely injured or exposed to too much air, they go into shock, sink to the bottom, flip over, and eventually float to the top. It looks as if your dead fish is in the middle of accepting death :D...

Oh, and I was eating an egg roll as I read, "The whole place is cool--except right on the left where the blood was--they had all this dead fish on ice that looked gutted--blood everywhere, parts hanging out--looked like bait or something." ... almost wanted to spit it out, but it tasted sooo good. And I don't mind fish guts that much being the avid fisherman I am.

Cool shot!
    Jeremy

wow--my first "death throws" shot--hopefully my last.

I had to crack up when I read your egg roll story--sorry about that--I guess you should be thankful I didn't post the shot in extra large.

Miss fishing all of the sudden (its been years) looks like this is as close as I'll get catching fish for a while.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited November 22, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Liz this is a good photo. I too like the combo of boots with fish thumb.gif

You do need to head back there.... lots of photos to be had with everything that you mentioned. I look forward to seeing some of them.

I will go back--incognito--I keep getting kicked out of places for taking photos--this is the second time I've gotten kicked out of a place in one month!
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited November 22, 2009
    I will go back--incognito--I keep getting kicked out of places for taking photos--this is the second time I've gotten kicked out of a place in one month!

What...you get kicked out for taking photos....why?

Your going to have to learn to shoot from the hip. I've never tried it, but you can get some good photos that way.
    edited November 22, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    What...you get kicked out for taking photos....why?

Your going to have to learn to shoot from the hip. I've never tried it, but you can get some good photos that way.

First Dylan's candy store --they didn't want their products and displays to be photographed.

This time, I'm not sure but they made gestures, and said something in Chinese, so I don't know for sure, but I gather they wanted me to stop taking shots--so I did.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited November 22, 2009
    First Dylan's candy store --they didn't want their products and displays to be photographed.

This time, I'm not sure but they made gestures, and said something in Chinese, so I don't know for sure, but I gather they wanted me to stop taking shots--so I did.

Ahhhh...the candy store. I can kind of understand that, but they might of thought "free publicity" where ever the photo/photos went. I would of if I owned a candy shop.

The "gestures" rolleyes1.gif I got the "look" once and left an area. You have to try again tho at the fish place .. maybe if you ask first that might help.
    edited November 22, 2009
    I think I have the best story about getting kicked off of an area.

I was in Mesa, Arizona (suburb of Pheonix) for my cousin's wedding, and there was a Bank America just outside the hotel. I thought, sweet, this could make for a cool architecture photo.So, I grabbed my tripod and my wide angle and headed across the road to setup.

Within 2 minutes of getting across the street to an empty plot of land a car drives up. Two guys get out, one of them being extremely overweight. They walk up to me, and this is my conversation with them. (Roughly it happened in June so its a little hazy)

Him "Hi there, how are you today? My name is ....... and I'm the head of security over at Bank of America."

Me "Hi"

Him "I was just wondering why you're taking pictures of our facility over there"

Me (nervously) "Ohh, umm yeah, I'm just on vacation staying in that hotel over there behind me..."

Him "Ok, yeah just making sure you're not the press"

Me "Nope, not the press, just thought it was a cool shot"

Him "ok... can you leave please?"

Me "umm.. ... sure"

he and his very large security guard friend walk back to the car, and drive back to the bank of america building....

Hmmmm... this was during the height of the recession... trying to hide anything are we? Hmmmmm.....

anyways... yeah. I only took one picture and it turned out really bad, cause by the time I got setup they were there and freaked me out.
    Jer
    edited November 22, 2009
    I think I have the best story about getting kicked off of an area.

I was in Mesa, Arizona (suburb of Pheonix) for my cousin's wedding, and there was a Bank America just outside the hotel. I thought, sweet, this could make for a cool architecture photo.So, I grabbed my tripod and my wide angle and headed across the road to setup.

Within 2 minutes of getting across the street to an empty plot of land a car drives up. Two guys get out, one of them being extremely overweight. They walk up to me, and this is my conversation with them. (Roughly it happened in June so its a little hazy)

Him "Hi there, how are you today? My name is ....... and I'm the head of security over at Bank of America."

Me "Hi"

Him "I was just wondering why you're taking pictures of our facility over there"

Me (nervously) "Ohh, umm yeah, I'm just on vacation staying in that hotel over there behind me..."

Him "Ok, yeah just making sure you're not the press"

Me "Nope, not the press, just thought it was a cool shot"

Him "ok... can you leave please?"

Me "umm.. ... sure"

he and his very large security guard friend walk back to the car, and drive back to the bank of america building....

Hmmmm... this was during the height of the recession... trying to hide anything are we? Hmmmmm.....

anyways... yeah. I only took one picture and it turned out really bad, cause by the time I got setup they were there and freaked me out.

They just didn't want you to get any photos of them carrying our money out the backdoor :D

I don't think you had to leave, but I can understand why you did. I would of too....maybe???? Depending on how stubborn I was at the moment :D

Good story...thanks for sharing it.
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    It's not dead…

…it's just pinin' for the fiords!

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
    edited November 23, 2009
    Jeremy,
    You got kicked out of an empty plot of land?rolleyes1.gif that's pretty bad.
    Makes me want to argue with them when they do--but what's the point? It just could get ugly fast, so I got why you left. Your story sounded way more intimidating than mine. The girl who asked me to leave at the candy store came up to my shoulders, if that.

The Candy store one--this is what steamed me--You can take photos of the displays as long as you have friends or family in the shot.
    So all these folks with friends were doing that and taking shots of the display---
    The wishy washy rule is what burned me up--and I paid about $40 bucks for candy--rolleyes1.gif they got me good.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited November 23, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:
    It's not dead…

…it's just pinin' for the fiords!

- Wil

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited November 23, 2009
    Jeremy,
    You got kicked out of an empty plot of land?rolleyes1.gif that's pretty bad.
    Makes me want to argue with them when they do--but what's the point? It just could get ugly fast, so I got why you left. Your story sounded way more intimidating than mine. The girl who asked me to leave at the candy store came up to my shoulders, if that.

The Candy store one--this is what steamed me--You can take photos of the displays as long as you have friends or family in the shot.
    So all these folks with friends were doing that and taking shots of the display---
    The wishy washy rule is what burned me up--and I paid about $40 bucks for candy--rolleyes1.gif they got me good.
    Yep, kicked off an empty plot 'o land eek7.gif. I didn't want to give them any trouble...

I only had one hand at the time (very serious injury to my left hand which I can explain more about it if you want), so I had a hard time even using the zoom ring on my lens let alone fight some dude? yeah... I may have been taller than the guy, and if my hand wasn't busted up I could've taken him, but I didn't want to deal with it haha. :rambo

How Rude! You were a paying customer and they wouldn't allow you to catalog your favorite candy for future purchases? sad. rolleyes1.gif
    Jer
    edited November 23, 2009
    Yep, kicked off an empty plot 'o land eek7.gif. I didn't want to give them any trouble...

I only had one hand at the time (very serious injury to my left hand which I can explain more about it if you want), so I had a hard time even using the zoom ring on my lens let alone fight some dude? yeah... I may have been taller than the guy, and if my hand wasn't busted up I could've taken him, but I didn't want to deal with it haha. :rambo

How Rude! You were a paying customer and they wouldn't allow you to catalog your favorite candy for future purchases? sad. rolleyes1.gif

A rumble with security dudes from Bank of American ... more photos then you would of probably wanted posted all over rolleyes1.gif

Wasn't worth the fight. Hope the hand healed up good thumb.gif
    edited November 23, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    A rumble with security dudes from Bank of American ... more photos then you would of probably wanted posted all over rolleyes1.gif

Wasn't worth the fight. Hope the hand healed up good thumb.gif
    Yeah, I probably wouldn't want that haha...

anyways, heres the link to what happened to me. warning, its pretty graphic if you have a weak stomach. I don't think it is that bad, but some may think so. http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=136112
    Jer
    edited November 23, 2009
    Yeah, I probably wouldn't want that haha...

anyways, heres the link to what happened to me. warning, its pretty graphic if you have a weak stomach. I don't think it is that bad, but some may think so. http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=136112

Haven't had lunch yet :D Looked at the first photo and cringed. Saw my Dad's thumb go through a table saw...not a pretty sight.
    edited November 23, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Haven't had lunch yet :D Looked at the first photo and cringed. Saw my Dad's thumb go through a table saw...not a pretty sight.
    Yeah, I actually just updated that post with pictures that the plastic surgeon took during the first surgery if you would like to see them too. haha. They look alot better than the cell phone pics.
    Jer