Playing with Lighting

sunxsweetsunxsweet Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
edited November 21, 2009 in People
well... got off my butt yesterday and decided to play with some my sb-800s and my d300 in commander mode. please c&c.

one small softbox sb-800 camera right
one sb-800 behind the subject to create a little separation.
one silver reflector camera left for a little fill.
i think i would have preferred a small hairlight and some accent lighting on the side of his face. but it was fun and i think it turned out okay.

719428949_x5Dys-L.jpg

719668044_8ekYm-L.jpg

next shot was done with some butterfly lighting... not sure if i pulled it off all that well. but i set up the softbox above the subject and had a silver reflector underneath

719427117_j8iKU-L.jpg

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    Nice set, and thanks for posting. I'm just working on the lighting setups as well, so season my comments accordingly....

On the first two, the light contrast is nice but don't you generally want to short-light the image (i.e., the brighter side is the side of the face we don't fully see). You may have explicity wanted the broad lighting here, and if so, it seems well done.

Your back light isn't quite even across the image. You have a hard shadow in the upper right in the first that seems a bit reduced in the second, though.

Can't really comment on the third. I think you might want to shoot from a bit higher up, but the whole butterfly lighting is something I haven't tried to get right yet.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site