Help, need posing ideas...dad in wheelchair

ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited November 21, 2009 in People
I'm hoping a few of you have some examples for me.....

I have a family session this week and the dad is in a wheelchair. While talking to his wife, she knows the chair will be in the picture, it's part of who dad is......... but, she is wanting to minimize the chair in the shots. She doesn't want a typical dad in the chair and everyone standing around it portrait.

We're looking at doing some indoor and some outdoor shots. Any and all advice/examples you may all have would be appreciated. I'd like to go into the shoot with a game plan!

Thanks!
Heather
www.heatherdunnphotography.com
My Blog My Facebook Page
GIVING BACK - How will you give?
"I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    Can you provide us with a little information on the session? Where is the session being held (at their home?) and how many family members are you shooting? What are the ages of the children or are they all adults? Is she looking for formal, casual, fun or all of the above? Is ts a Christmas portrait? I don't have any samples as I've never shot a person in a wheelchair, but I think having a game plan would be to your advantage. If you can minimize without obviously trying to hide the fact, I think you would gain a very happy client. My first instincts would be more on the casual/fun side which is why I asked if they were willing to go that direction. I think shooting from up high down on the family (ladder or balcony?) would minimize the chair and put the focus on everyone's faces.

Another thought would depend on the landscape. If you could stagger the members and have them all doing something different (sitting, standing, jumping, whatever) or facing different directions, kind of like the types of shots you see for a wedding party. Again, having fun, with each doing his/her own thing taking the focus off of Dad in his wheelchair. Is there a porch or a fence to elevate some family members? Again, I would pose them casually, facing different directions, so that every family member stands out, not just Dad. A session I plan to do for my niece and her husband and 2 kids is one of them all in their xmas pjs on their king size bed. Is he able to be on the floor for the indoor shot, or in a regular chair? Lots of things to consider and perhaps talk over with his wife. I'd like to see your results when you are finished. :D
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    On a holiday card I received, they put everyone at the dining room table, so three or four people are seated with their hands on the table, and the rest of the family wrapped behind. Kind of like a "Table Shot" from a wedding.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    the indoor shots would be in my studio...... outdoor will be in a park like setting
    Heather
    www.heatherdunnphotography.com
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    GIVING BACK - How will you give?
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson