What is an amateur salon print?

MayndiMayndi Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited July 20, 2005 in People
Hi there. I'm interested in entering this contest for the county fair that's coming up and one of the rules is, "amatuer salon prints must be 5x7 or larger."

What does this mean? Is this all pictures or a certian type of pictures?

Thanks!
Mayndi
Now come on. I know you love :lust me. What are you waiting for?
"i never knew until the world was my inspiration, and these walls were my canvas"
Hidilia Carpenter
1/3/32 - 12/28/04

Comments

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2005
    Hi Mayndi wave.gif welcome to dgrin! I can't answer your question (no clue) but I'm sure one of the professionals will wander in and help out.. stay tunedthumb.gif
  • HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2005
    Hi Mayndi,
    Mayndi wrote:
    Hi there. I'm interested in entering this contest for the county fair that's coming up and one of the rules is, "amatuer salon prints must be 5x7 or larger."

What does this mean? Is this all pictures or a certian type of pictures?

Thanks!
    Mayndi
    I'm going to go out onto a limb here and make some suggestions. I couldn't find anything definitive on what a Salon print was. I too am getting ready to enter some work into a state fair and they require the print to be mounted on something that allows it to hang.

From doing some googling, here are my assumptions:
    A salon print is a print that is mounted on a material that can allow the print to be hanged. This could mean put into a frame or just a stiff cardboard backing. The purpose is to allow a devise, such as wire, to be mounted on the picture to allow it to hang on display. Hence the Solon print, which is a print that can hange in a salon.

These are just my assumptions, but I would talk to the person in charge of your photography display and get some clarification. For our fair, it must have a backing and a way to hang the picture, wire preferred and no sawtooth hangers. Smallest print is 10" on the longest side and no larger than 10x20 inches. Still not sure what I"m going to use for hangers.

BTW, which fair?

Good Luck,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister