Canon 7D and 2nd curtain sync

Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
edited November 22, 2009 in Cameras
I've got a 580EX (not II) on the hotshoe of a 7D. When I go to the external flash settings in the menus the selection for 2nd curtain sync is disabled. Likewise if I put a ST-E2 transmitter on the hot shoe and make the flash a slave I the 2nd curtain sync selection is disabled also (the channel is setup correctly, the flash works).

The 2nd curtain sync selection is enabled for the internal flash.

I'm pretty sure I was able to setup 2nd curtain sync when I had the flash on a 10D, but can't seem to be able to do it now.

Anyone have any hints on what's going on?

Thanks,
Dan

Comments

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2009
    well you can not use 2nd curtain sync with the ST-E2, even with other EOS models. My only guess is that you have the external flash control set to on, and this is disabling it?
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2009
    You can't use 2ndCS with off camera Canon flash, as I understand it. I don't think any of the Canon wireless triggers will let you set it that way, alas. Not sure why.
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2009
    Even with the flash directly on the hotshoe the 2ndCS is disabled.
    I must have some other setting that's making a conflict....
    divamum wrote:
    You can't use 2ndCS with off camera Canon flash, as I understand it. I don't think any of the Canon wireless triggers will let you set it that way, alas. Not sure why.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2009
    Dan7312 wrote:

Ah... that's a different matter :D Do post back when you figure it out! (Do you have H2S set on the flash itself? Yeah, I know, obvious, but i've made that mistake myself a couple of times... whoops!)
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2009
    Dan7312 wrote:

Does the flash have wireless master or slave mode set?
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
    edited November 22, 2009
    When the flash is on the hotshoe, as divamum says, the button that looks sort of like >>>| (on the 580, 550 is different) sets 2ndCS if you hit it a couple of times:D . So now I have 2ndCS working when the flash is on the hotshoe. Even though the 7D has a menu entry for extenal 2ndCS I guess it doesn't work on the 580EX.

On the wireless there isn't away to set 2ndCS... I thought there was but that doesn't seem to be the case. When I tried it on my 10D I must have been using the flash extension cord, not the ST unit.

Thanks again.

divamum wrote:
    Ah... that's a different matter :D Do post back when you figure it out! (Do you have H2S set on the flash itself? Yeah, I know, obvious, but i've made that mistake myself a couple of times... whoops!)
    edited November 22, 2009
    I think I've zero'd in on part of my confustion... you need the 580EX Mark II for the menus on the camera to work, I have the older, I guess unmarked, version.
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2009
    Dan7312 wrote:
    I think I've zero'd in on part of my confustion... you need the 580EX Mark II for the menus on the camera to work, I have the older, I guess unmarked, version.

I see, it's just a case of the camera not being able to read the capabilities of the flash then.

Glad you got it figured out :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/