Gracie Lulu, Age 3

metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
edited November 23, 2009 in People
I took my niece out on Friday to practice making some pictures. I've been really working on trying to get my images sharper with the 50 at 1.8. Do these seem to be an improvement over my last few sets in that regard?

This is Gracie. C&C welcome.

719342474_CtVMq-L.jpg

719838626_esSsm-L.jpg

719330236_uUasF-L.jpg

719337671_vzTCz-L.jpg

719339394_GZwBT-L.jpg

720811672_563mD-L.jpg

Comments

• metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2009
    And a couple collages.

719943869_zMrGn-L.jpg

719759774_FQUo6-L.jpg
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2009
    These are......fantastic! thumb.gif
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2009
    Well done! I love the collages. There is a little softness when I look hard for it, but for me there is enough important detail in focus.

Caroline
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2009
    I'm impressed that at 1.8 and a 3-year-old you are focusing and composing fast enough to have anything in focus!!!

In the collage, that corner shot of her leaving the frame really takes the whole collage from great to wow!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2009
    Awww!! I love them, especially the collages, as they tell a story. Just very, very pretty! Way to go! thumb.gif
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    These are great, Met! I think they are indeed sharper than your last post too so great work! BTW, if you are shooting with the Canon 50...it really isn't that sharp at 1.8. I think it excels at 2.0...very sharp, while still leaving a beautiful bokeh. Are you manually focusing? It is pretty slow to focus unless you have great light. Did you set your focus points or use AF completely? I love the 6 frame storyboard. The ONLY teeny nit is that I wish she didn't have the black jacket on in those 2 upper frames. My eye goes to those shots first and they seem to carry more weight than the other pictures just because of the black. I'm ULTRA particular though...maybe it doesn't bother anyone else :) At any rate, NICE set and ADORABLE little girly with those super tight curls...Made me smile! :D Oh and just out of curiosity what was your EXIF on these...obviously 1.8 but your ss and your iso?
  • rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    She is adorable. Love those curls too. Nice job. Little soft on some but really did a great job of capturing her personality.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback everyone!

kidzmom wrote:
    These are great, Met! I think they are indeed sharper than your last post too so great work! BTW, if you are shooting with the Canon 50...it really isn't that sharp at 1.8. I think it excels at 2.0...very sharp, while still leaving a beautiful bokeh. Are you manually focusing? It is pretty slow to focus unless you have great light. Did you set your focus points or use AF completely? Oh and just out of curiosity what was your EXIF on these...obviously 1.8 but your ss and your iso?
    I have a Nikon D80. I'm using AF but setting my focus point manually. I've been trying to work in manual mode, so the EXIF may vary a little bit picture to picture.

We started taking these around 11:30 AM. The first one was pretty out in the open sunshine. I didn't use any flash.

Exposure Time: 0.001s (1/1000)<o:p></o:p>
    Aperture: f/1.8<o:p></o:p>
    ISO: 100<o:p></o:p>
    Focal Length: 50mm

A little bit later we moved up by a little building where there was a little more shade (in the little silver sweater) and the EXIF data is more like this.

Exposure Time: 0.002s (1/500)<o:p></o:p>
    Aperture: f/1.8<o:p></o:p>
    ISO: 100<o:p></o:p>
    Focal Length: 50mm

What I've been basically doing is setting my aperture to get the bokeh and feel that I want (I usually try to stick around 1.8 for portraits, but will change it up some depending on circumstance), trying to get the ISO as low as possible and adjusting the shutter speed. Is this the method that I should be using?

<table cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody></tbody></table>
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    Nice...

I think the first one is your best...the lighting and photography are very nice. It has a lot of character...with the shadows as they carry across her face.

Thanks for sharing...
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    Adorable. I've been working on a new book for grandson #1 and wanted to say, I really enjoy these. What fun.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552