Glass: Pentax vs. Sigma

DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
edited July 18, 2005 in Cameras
Lately I've been seeing some miraculously sharp images of insects and such in the forums, but I've never been able to achieve such high quality. I've been wondering if it's the lenses or the camera. People have been telling me it's the lenses. How much of a difference is there between high end pentax lenses vs. high end sigma lenses?
Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.

Comments

• david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2005
    Personally, I think it's the photographer, not the lenses, that produces these great macros we've been spoiled with of late.

I haven't used Pentax for many years, but I know the quality has always been good. I've used serveral of the Sigma and Tamron lenses, before converting to all Nikon (apart form the Tokina 12-24 that is). In my experience, the Nikons (and I'm sure the Pentax as well) are better quality lenses, but the top Sigmas are not far behind. I know that the Sigma 90mm macro lens seems to be very highly regarded.

I'm sure someone who knows what they are doing with any lens could produce better macro photographs than me, regardless of how much I'd spent on the gear.
  • DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2005
    I wonder if anyone here would give me lessons and assignments to do to help me learn photography better...

I hear that the smaller lenses (like 50mm) have a higher quality than things like the 180mm macro.
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2005
    I would say almost all macro lenses, true macro lenses, with the 1:1 true life capture are premium, sharp lenses. I think major price differences come with the length, which allows you to take a closeup farther away, and build, which includes how quiet they are during AF and how solid they are.

The guys that get these really sharp insect shots practice a lot with lighting techniques and apertures. Each one has their own developed style, and many have hand made a lot of the lighting equipment they use to get that sharp shot.
  • DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2005
    Thanks for the explanations! I think I need lessons or training to learn how to take these photos, or understand the lightning needed. I have yet to even take one photography class. It's probably best that I start soon.