Hating Pps Spread! Warning! Protect Your Images!

RuiMLopesRuiMLopes Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
edited November 26, 2009 in Landscapes
As I find it useful to all of us , hereby, I repeat a warning I post at NikonCafe forum, so you may be aware of what the said popular PPS are doing with our photos:

“Flowery Streets” is a popular biennial event, whose tradition dates back to the nineteenth century. It consists in the decoration of the streets of the village of Redondo (Alentejo) with thousands of flowers and other items drawn on colored paper.
The residents of each street choose their theme. The preparation of this event usually begins in November, The inhabitants of each street decide the street theme, which will be kept in strict confidence until the day that they begin the decoration of the streets.
During the months following the first meetings, hundreds of people work every day with dedication and commitment However , the only prize to their task is the recognition of visitors.

I´ve been there shooting the event two years ago. The following week, based on positive backup from PBase members I sent an unprotected link to someone at the local City Hall, inviting them to use the it into their WEB site . Never got a word from them. However, a couple of months later, I´ve started to notice an unusual nr. of visitors to the related PBase galleries. One day, I´ve got about 4.000 visitors!
A couple of months ago, I finally realized what happened. A friend sent me a so called PPS along with a comment on the beauty of the event and of the pics. When I opened it, I realized that ALL the shots were mine! I believe that those “Redondo pics” went around the world…without my consent…
This kind of piracy is increasing more and more. It´s not a good feeling. However, I thought that it may be useful to tell you the story and… to share the ORIGINAL images with you, my friends. You deserve it more than others:

717511313_CbSBm-L.jpg

717514569_a7zgk-L.jpg

717513972_ZePUk-L.jpg

717512024_WJrXX-L.jpg

717511667_baZQr-L.jpg

My stolen images are at: http://www.slideshare.net/1950/redondo-festa-das-flores

Despite my several messages asking them to remove it, they are still there. All the several complaint messages sent by other Nikon Cafe members (and mine too) are sistematically deleted. Shameless peole over there keep this kind of behaviour.
That´s why, I decided to post here this warning: protect yourselves; watermark your pictures. And, if you wish, feel free to send them your complaints flagging their behaviour. This shameless WEB piracy is spreading more and more through those ridiculous PPS.!
Rui
D300, D200 coupled with some fine Nikon glass

My Smugmug galleries: http://ruilopes.smugmug.com/

Comments

• scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    While it's unfortunate that YOU have to do this, simply rename the gallery or move the photos to a new gallery. That should break the links that are being used.
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    And then consider password-protecting the gallery, or adding a watermark if possible.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    Aside from the bad news the photos are wonderful. At first I thought they were a water color painting! They really are cheery and uplifting to view!clap.gif
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    Thanks for sharing this. thumb.gif Major bummer, but excellent photos.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    RUI....THANKS for bringing this over here from Nikon Cafe....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• RuiMLopesRuiMLopes Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    scole wrote:
    While it's unfortunate that YOU have to do this, simply rename the gallery or move the photos to a new gallery. That should break the links that are being used.

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I believe that unfortunately it is too late.
    Actually, when I kept aware that the pictures were stolen from my PBase galleries, I immediately deleted the gallery but the images were already copied by the thieves to their own web sites.
    Right now, I re-opened a gallery under the same theme at Smugmug, protected against "right-click".
    Rui

edited November 23, 2009
    I as so many others at Nikon Cafe have done....flagged her PPS of your work as inappropriate.......yes I saw my comment that stated straight out that I knew you and the images were stolen from you was gone a little after 2 hours.......I'll go back and re comment.....if people keep it up, after a while it may be effective.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,341 moderator
    edited November 23, 2009
    RuiMLopes wrote:
    ...Right now, I re-opened a gallery under the same theme at Smugmug, protected against "right-click".
    I wish there was some way to really get back at the thieves - having photos stolen stinks. Unfortunately I suspect it happens more than we know.

You should be aware that right-click protection is not really protection at all. It can be easily and quickly circumvented.
    See http://blogs.smugmug.com/pros/2008/07/04/right-click-protection-and-image-security/.

--- Denise
    edited November 23, 2009
    I wish there was some way to really get back at the thieves - having photos stolen stinks. Unfortunately I suspect it happens more than we know.

You should be aware that right-click protection is not really protection at all. It can be easily and quickly circumvented.
    See http://blogs.smugmug.com/pros/2008/07/04/right-click-protection-and-image-security/.

--- Denise

A combo of rt-clik protection and watermarking + copyrighting is the best for internet published images and that still does not stop the dedicated theif.

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,088 moderator
    edited November 24, 2009
    "slideshare.net" appears to be hosted by:

pair Networks, Inc.

Their registration contact information is:

Registrant:
    pair Networks, Inc.
    2403 Sidney Street
    Suite 210
    Pittsburgh, PA 15203
    US

+1.4123817247
    +1.4123819997

I suggest that if you contact them with a certified* letter asking them to "cease and desist" the hosting of the images at:

http://www.slideshare.net/1950/redondo-festa-das-flores

... that you may be able to get them to help. You may have to prove ownership of the images but that can be as simple as proving that you posted the images on a date that pre-dates their hosting of the images.

If you don't get any action you may have to have an attorney draft something, but at least that contact information should get you somewhere.

Good luck.

*Errata: I first mentioned "registered" mail, but "certified" mail is what I meant and is the correct method. You just need a record that you sent the letter and, ideally you also want a "return receipt" showing that they received the letter.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • AFBlueAFBlue Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    RuiMLopes wrote:
    As I find it useful to all of us , hereby, I repeat a warning I post at NikonCafe forum, so you may be aware of what the said popular PPS are doing with our photos:

. . . .
    A couple of months ago, I finally realized what happened. A friend sent me a so called PPS along with a comment on the beauty of the event and of the pics. When I opened it, I realized that ALL the shots were mine! I believe that those “Redondo pics” went around the world…without my consent…

My stolen images are at: http://www.slideshare.net/1950/redondo-festa-das-flores

Despite my several messages asking them to remove it, they are still there. All the several complaint messages sent by other Nikon Cafe members (and mine too) are sistematically deleted. Shameless peole over there keep this kind of behaviour.
    That´s why, I decided to post here this warning: protect yourselves; watermark your pictures. And, if you wish, feel free to send them your complaints flagging their behaviour. This shameless WEB piracy is spreading more and more through those ridiculous PPS.!

Isn't this the perfect situation to use a Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) takedown notice?

A very good explanation with step-by-step illustrations of issuing a DCMA takedown notice is at http://www.naturescapes.net/docs/index.php/articles/314

Good luck and SOCK IT TO THEM!

Jerry
  • emeraldroseemeraldrose Registered Users Posts: 324 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    this may sound dumb, but what is pps? ANd it completely sucks that they used all your images without permission, people have no respect for photography, if it was a painting people wouldn't consider it, but b/c technology was used they don't see a problem.deal.gif
    edited November 25, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    "slideshare.net" appears to be hosted by:

pair Networks, Inc.

Their registration contact information is:

Registrant:
    pair Networks, Inc.
    2403 Sidney Street
    Suite 210
    Pittsburgh, PA 15203
    US

+1.4123817247
    +1.4123819997

I suggest that if you contact them with a certified* letter asking them to "cease and desist" the hosting of the images at:

http://www.slideshare.net/1950/redondo-festa-das-flores

... that you may be able to get them to help. You may have to prove ownership of the images but that can be as simple as proving that you posted the images on a date that pre-dates their hosting of the images.

If you don't get any action you may have to have an attorney draft something, but at least that contact information should get you somewhere.

Good luck.

*Errata: I first mentioned "registered" mail, but "certified" mail is what I meant and is the correct method. You just need a record that you sent the letter and, ideally you also want a "return receipt" showing that they received the letter.

Thank you so much for your suggestion! I´ll contact them tomorrow and will see what happens....
    Not sure if I´m prepared to face a legal fight because of this but, at least, I´ll write them!
    Thanks again.
    Rui

edited November 25, 2009
    AFBlue wrote:
    Isn't this the perfect situation to use a Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) takedown notice?

A very good explanation with step-by-step illustrations of issuing a DCMA takedown notice is at http://www.naturescapes.net/docs/index.php/articles/314

Good luck and SOCK IT TO THEM!

Jerry

REALLY GREAT ADVICE! I wasn´t aware of this. Tomorrow I´ll prepare my request to them.
    Many Thanks.
    Rui

edited November 25, 2009
    this may sound dumb, but what is pps? ANd it completely sucks that they used all your images without permission, people have no respect for photography, if it was a painting people wouldn't consider it, but b/c technology was used they don't see a problem.deal.gif

pps = power points. Some people use to still images from others, insert it in pps and send the same to friends and relatives who re-transmit it over and over throughout the world .Friends often love to share it as a sign of friendness...rolleyes1.gif Every day, I receive lots of them which now I delete even before opening the respective files...
    Rui

• emeraldroseemeraldrose Registered Users Posts: 324 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    RuiMLopes wrote:
    pps = power points. Some people use to still images from others, insert it in pps and send the same to friends and relatives who re-transmit it over and over throughout the world .Friends often love to share it as a sign of friendness...rolleyes1.gif Every day, I receive lots of them which now I delete even before opening the respective files...

awe didn't even consider power points lol. Like I said before just shows how people in general don't value photography as an art form as much as say painting. so sad in my estimation.
  • astockwellastockwell Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2009
    this may sound dumb, but what is pps?

Thank you for asking this before I got to the bottom of page two. If you're going to use an acronym, please use the actual full word description first, so people know what you're talking about.
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2009
    I too was wondering what PPS was. Looking in Wikipedia, it could stand for many things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PPS

Now that it has been put into context, I see that pps in this instance is referring to "power point show".

Good luck in your dealings with pair and slideshare!
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug