Color Printing Problem with HP Photosmart Plus

BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
edited November 24, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
I'm looking for ideas here.

I recently bought an HP Photosmart Plus, replacing a Photosmart 7760. The reviews I read prior to purchase all said the HP Plus was meh on documents but solid on photos.

Let's start by saying that I'm working on a Huey calibrated Dell 2209 WA I've matched both working and output profiles (Adobe 1998 ) across the board (CS4/ACR/DPP/printer) and set up the printer to let CS4 control color management. The monitor uses the ICC profile set up by the latest Huey calibration.

This setup worked very well with the 7760 but with the "PLUS" the prints don't look at all like the screen. They come out desaturated and pretty bland with no pop at all.

What am I missing here? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen

Comments

• Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2009
    I would try saving the image to the sRGB color space rather than AdobeRGB. Very few lower-cost printers can fully replicate aRBG. You have to output in 16-bit to take advantage of that.

If your newer printer is an all-in-one, I believe it is of lesser quality image reproduction wise (though it probably does more and does it faster) than your old one. The 7760 may have been better able to handle aRGB, maybe. The HP dye-based printers of 4-5 years ago were excellent.

M