Options

Nude Workshop in SoCal Anybody?

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited December 17, 2009 in Go Figure
I'm doing a sequel to my "Posing The Light" workshop and arranging for its artistic nude version, "Lighting The Body", sometime in December.

Suggested agenda:
1) Saturday I: 9am-3pm: "Bodyscapes" (studio)
2) Saturday II: 3pm-6pm: "Sunset Goddess") (outdoors, Conejo Valley or Santa Monica Mountains - some hiking will be required)
3) Sunday: 9am - 4pm: "Desert Rose" (outdoors, Mojave desert or Sierras)

Date 26-27 (weekend right after Xmas:-)

6 people max.
No prior experience required.
All you need is a camera with a hot shoe and a possibility of full manual control (can be film, DSLR or advanced P&S).

Pricing:
  • Saturday I only: $299
  • Saturday II only: $199
  • Whole Saturday: $399 ($100 off)
  • Sunday only: $299
  • Both days: $499 (that's $200 off)
Non-commerical model releases, during-the-shoot-meals and location transportation are included in price. For out of town people I can arrange for a cheap high quality lodging (like I did previously).

Please PM/email if you're interested.

Here's signup form, just in case: http://photosocal.wufoo.com/forms/lighting-the-body-workshop-registration/
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    SmithySmithy Registered Users Posts: 151 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2009
    2 weeks too late for me. Bummer. I roll outta socal on the 14th.
    Fuji X-S10
    Fujifilm Finepix S100fs

and my other hobby... tidewaterforge.com
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2009
    Smithy wrote:
    2 weeks too late for me. Bummer. I roll outta socal on the 14th.
    ne_nau.gif sorry rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2009
    I'm not sure which model(s) I'm gonna hire, but the possibilities include (yet not limited to):

Anais:

592537795_gcNFG-M.jpg

Anya:

477887867_9SuNC-M.jpg

Heather:

715867017_uv5fa-M.jpg

Daniel:

641616255_reAyD-M.jpg

Helen:

507958788_R7atY-M.jpg

Danya:

574095734_8gGJy-M.jpg

Sandra:

639674598_MEFd6-M.jpg

and many, many other great models. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2009
    What you will learn gear-wise:
    * how to use a light meter
    * how to operate in full manual mode
    * how to set up multiple lights
    * how to use various modifiers (grids, umbrellas, softboxes, octaboxes, eggcrates, etc.)
    * how to mix ambient and artificial light, including overpowering high noon desert sun and matching your strobes to the gentle sunset tones
    What you will learn subject-wise:
    * how to prep a model for a shoot
    * how to pose a model
    * what angles/frames work best in what situation

... and many other useful tips and tricks!
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2009
    Only 5 slots left...
  • Options
    leanannaleananna Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited December 6, 2009
    It would be nice but unfortunately I live in France.... is there some book you can recomend me on the subject?
    And please can you tell me also how were made the photos of Daniel, Sandra and Anais? As the position of the light, the manual f. of the photo... ? bowdown.gif :help I have so many ideas that unfortunately dont know how to realise fully... can i build up my own lighting without expensive products?
    Thank you
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2009
    leananna wrote:
    It would be nice but unfortunately I live in France.... is there some book you can recomend me on the subject?
    And please can you tell me also how were made the photos of Daniel, Sandra and Anais? As the position of the light, the manual f. of the photo... ? bowdown.gif :help I have so many ideas that unfortunately dont know how to realise fully... can i build up my own lighting without expensive products?
    Thank you

France o_0? Yeah, that would be a long drive:-) mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Books... There is not a single one I know that would comprise all pertinent knowledge on the subject... One of them I cherish a lot is Kevin Ames' "The Art of Photographying Women". Mind you it's not a beginner's book, and it's mostly devoted to post-processing. Other than that any book on portraiture and lighting would get you in a right direction...

While I obviously know all the details of the shots you mentioned, I honestly don't think you're asking the right questions, especially considering the fact that you don't own much of equipment yet. The obvious fact that light is positioned on top of the model would not give you enough details of what else what was going on, and putting all those details down... well, that's what kinda workshops are for - it's simply impossible to deliver all those gory details in a casual internet post... ne_nau.gif

"Building your own lighting without expenisve products"... I can't say it's not possible, but... Each and every of the shots you can see in my protfolio here or anywhere else can probably be done on a cheap. But there is a catch: the shot next to it would take another buildup. And so on and so forth. The advantage of having professional - and , yes, rather expensive - products is in their combined versatility and reliability. DIY solution often break, are hassle to handle and may not provide consistent results. In a way, you'll be spending more time thinking of how to arrange your DIY stuff in a way that it would work at least somehow, rather than be concentrating on the shoot (or model, or tons of other important things).

The silver lining here: you don't have to sell your firstborn and purchase 50% of B&H studio catalog. I own and can comfortably use 11 lights total but more often than not I use only 2 or 3. Start with two lights and see what you can do with them. Baby steps. Once you get comfortable with those and would *know* where the limitations are, add another 1-2. Pretty much, make sure you can use what you have 100% and only advance with more pourchases when you hit the ceiling/wall/etc and know for sure what you need to overcome it.

HTH
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2009
    Two weeks till the deadline....mwink.gif
  • Options
    b8264db8264d Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Two weeks till the deadline....mwink.gif

If I was ever in SoCal, I'd be all over this. :cry Unfortunately I'm in West Virginia. That doesn't mean I don't have a chance to learn, I'll be shooting in a cave in January. I just have to remember some of the tips you've so freely given out here.
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2009
    b8264d wrote:
    If I was ever in SoCal, I'd be all over this. :cry Unfortunately I'm in West Virginia. That doesn't mean I don't have a chance to learn, I'll be shooting in a cave in January. I just have to remember some of the tips you've so freely given out here.
    Thanks! thumb.gif
  • Options
    TangoJulietTangoJuliet Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    Like others, if it were closer to my home, I'd definitely sign up. Unfortunately, my budget doesn't have room for a trip to the West Coast :cry .
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2009
    Like others, if it were closer to my home, I'd definitely sign up. Unfortunately, my budget doesn't have room for a trip to the West Coast :cry .
    thumb.gif & :cry
  • Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    Dangit, I just realized I was in SoCal this summer and we should've gotten together to shoot some... Again, I would love to do this, but I cannot afford it ne_nau.gif especially after my dive in the wallet on Alien Bees :D maybe this summer I might be able to convince my roommate to take a road trip out west instead of out east mwink.gif

Good luck with the Workshop!
    Jer
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2009
    Dangit, I just realized I was in SoCal this summer and we should've gotten together to shoot some... Again, I would love to do this, but I cannot afford it ne_nau.gif especially after my dive in the wallet on Alien Bees :D maybe this summer I might be able to convince my roommate to take a road trip out west instead of out east mwink.gif

Good luck with the Workshop!

Thank you! I'm pretty sure I'll have one in summer, too... mwink.gif