Entry level camera?

dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
edited November 25, 2009 in Cameras
I have a friend that is going to buy his wife a camera for Christmas. She's been very interested in photography but has been using a point and shoot. He'd like to get her an inexpensive entry level DSLR camera.

She's not talked specifically about any particular camera or brand and hasn't done any research on the subject. So, he feels that she'd be happy with any flavor of DLSR.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited November 24, 2009
    All of the current entry level dSLRs are pretty good. I am including Nikon and Canon as well as Olympus, Sony and Pentax.

I do think that Olympus and Pentax get you the best "kit" lenses for the price and the most "shooter friendly" interface as well. (I mean that the user interface is more traditional to older film SLR cameras.)

Then again, the newest kit lenses from both Canon and Nikon include optical IS and improved optics over their predecessors.

Note that the Canon T1i even includes 1080p video, although in a 20 fps rate.

It's really hard to pick an absolutely bad camera nowdays. Do remember that they are really buying into a camera "system", so the whole may be more important than the parts.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    It's really hard to pick an absolutely bad camera nowdays. Do remember that they are really buying into a camera "system", so the whole may be more important than the parts.

If I were going to do this, I would figure out my budget then take the person to the store so they could pick a system that falls into that budget. Cameras feel different in your hands. The right fit could lead to a great hobby or more.
    Steve

Website
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    If I were going to do this, I would figure out my budget then take the person to the store so they could pick a system that falls into that budget. Cameras feel different in your hands. The right fit could lead to a great hobby or more.

That's what I would prefer if someone were going to buy for me. However, that's not going to happen in this case. He wants to get her the camera to open.
    edited November 25, 2009
    Ok, what's your take on any of these?

Sony Alpha DSLR-A230
    Canon EOS Rebel XSi
    Nikon D3000
  • run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    If this person might want to expand their gear in the near future (and who doesn't? :D ), I would recommend a system that has lots of options for older, legacy glass. Kit lenses only go so far. Nikon and Olympus would be two excellent choices if this were a priority.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    dlscott56 wrote:

Sony Alpha DSLR-A230
    Canon EOS Rebel XSi
    Nikon D3000

I shoot with an xsi and LOVE the thing. I'll be adding a 7d at some point, but intend on keeping the xsi as a backup and lightweight travel camera. That said, the T1i is virtually identical except it has the video - given the small price difference between them, it would probably be worth getting the newer model. The kit lens is ok for starters.
    edited November 25, 2009
    run_kmc wrote:
    If this person might want to expand their gear in the near future (and who doesn't? :D ), I would recommend a system that has lots of options for older, legacy glass. Kit lenses only go so far. Nikon and Olympus would be two excellent choices if this were a priority.

Thanks run.
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    run_kmc wrote:

Olympus is great, the Nikon's can't meter and or AF with some of the older lenses (the D3000 at least) and you can slap basically any lens on an Olympus with a 15-20 dollar adapter. Not to mention even the base Olympus lenses are great, and small! The base telephoto (40-150) is smaller than the 18-55VR/IS Nikon or Canon.

Plus the images from an Olympus camera have better color and it's JPEG engine is superior. So if they wont be playing with Raw files or photoshop a lot Olympus is the way to go. (They also have more features than a base camera from Nikon or Canon.)
    edited November 25, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    I shoot with an xsi and LOVE the thing. I'll be adding a 7d at some point, but intend on keeping the xsi as a backup and lightweight travel camera. That said, the T1i is virtually identical except it has the video - given the small price difference between them, it would probably be worth getting the newer model. The kit lens is ok for starters.

Thanks divamum, I've seen some of your work on the forums and I know she'd be happy to know that level of photography was possible with this camera body.thumb.gif
    edited November 25, 2009
    Thanks Ziggy, NikonsandVstroms and Run for the Olympus suggestion I hadn't thought about this brand. I'll start checking on these as well.
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    dlscott56 wrote:

Sony Alpha DSLR-A230
    Canon EOS Rebel XSi
    Nikon D3000

The Canon XSi (450D) is a great camera but some of the more recent DSLR's with video look good - Canon T1i (500D), Nikon D5000, Pentax K-x
  • PhotometricPhotometric Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    I'm not familiar with the Olympus line, but if there's a chance she's going to expand her interest, I would make sure that I bought a line that is future-proof. Buying a DSLR is not like buying a point and shoot, you buy the company since the lens's will be used on any future camera body purchases.
    http://www.djdimages.com/

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
    -- Abraham Lincoln
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    I'm not familiar with the Olympus line, but if there's a chance she's going to expand her interest, I would make sure that I bought a line that is future-proof. Buying a DSLR is not like buying a point and shoot, you buy the company since the lens's will be used on any future camera body purchases.

In my opinion the Olympus line of lenses is superior to Nikon or Canon for most DSLR buyers. They have 3 distinct grades so you know what your getting, and the cheaper Olympus lenses are well really cheap sometimes (the 40-150 [80-300 35mm equivalent]) can be found for about 100 dollars. The 35mm macro is a truly amazing lens for about 200 dollars.

Nikon/Canon do have a better assortment of primes and this is the only area 4/3 is really lacking. But the zooms are pretty small and overall I can fit a whole system of standard Olympus lenses in a tiny bag with the E-420 body.

And for high end lenses I would put the Olympus super high grade range at or above any others.

Also the art filters while seeming like a gimmick are actually pretty nice and I have seen great results with them.

Then there is the GUI that Olympus uses on the main LCD which is the best I have seen and makes it a lot easier than going through menus.

If you want a system of mostly primes then no Olympus is not for you but hold a Nikkor or Canon 18-55 then a 14-42 Olympus lens and you will see the difference.

Then there is the the high grade which has slightly variable apertures (2.8-3.5) but with this they are smaller and cheaper than the Nikon equivalents. Not only that they are built like tanks.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    All of the current entry level dSLRs are pretty good. I am including Nikon and Canon as well as Olympus, Sony and Pentax.

I do think that Olympus and Pentax get you the best "kit" lenses for the price and the most "shooter friendly" interface as well. (I mean that the user interface is more traditional to older film SLR cameras.)

Then again, the newest kit lenses from both Canon and Nikon include optical IS and improved optics over their predecessors.

Note that the Canon T1i even includes 1080p video, although in a 20 fps rate.

To add to this.....Oly, sony and some others have the stabilization built into the body.....so every lens is stabilized...............however neither Nikon nor Canon took this route....as having it in the lens drives up the lens pricesmwink.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    FWIW, i would do my research to help pick it out, but still take the person receiving the gift shopping to pick it out. perhaps a gift card from your favorite photo store with a picture of all the choices...then spend the day together picking one out. as said above, you can't really go wrong technology-wise with any of the choices, but the FEEL of the camera and control layout is a very personal decision.

Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    The Olympus E-620 is in my opinion the greatest camera for the price available. I have one. I practically keep the little beauty on a pedestal (when I am not shooting with it).
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    dlscott56 wrote:
    Thanks divamum, I've seen some of your work on the forums and I know she'd be happy to know that level of photography was possible with this camera body.thumb.gif

iloveyou.gif

You're too kind!! Essentially, the xsi is the same "under the hood" as the 40d; I preferred it because it was lighter. I've really been very happy with it!