Options

Forgive my ignorance; ND?

donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
edited July 18, 2005 in Accessories
Can someone explain the function and pourpose of an ND filter. I've done some searching on the web, but I don't think I'm getting it. It sounds as if it just reduces the total amount of light coming into the camera, thus reducing shutter speed. I'm usually trying to get a higher shutter speed and more light.

Please help.
Sean Martin
www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2005
    Ever seen a river look like a solid, misty mass? How about a waterfall? Ever seen an ocean or a lake look misty and strange? Ever seen trails of traffic lights? Or a ferris wheel that's a circle of light?

All are done by using a neutral density filter to produce ultra slow shutter speeds in daylight or twilight situations. Without the ND filter the camera would be incapable of giving you a slow enough shutter speed to get the desired effect - your shot would be overexposed.

The ND cuts down the light so you can blur water or lights, and not overexpose the image.

2553067-M.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Blue SnapshotsBlue Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2005
    Hi Neighor!!!
    donek wrote:
    Can someone explain the function and pourpose of an ND filter. I've done some searching on the web, but I don't think I'm getting it. It sounds as if it just reduces the total amount of light coming into the camera, thus reducing shutter speed. I'm usually trying to get a higher shutter speed and more light.

Please help.
    If you live in Colorado you should have a Neutral Density Filter in your kit. Beautiful state.... but the lighting here is horrible. I use the ND when shooting anything colorful on a bright sunny day. (ie Flowers, etc). Helps to maintain color without losing sharpness. Can produce a "plastic" look to the colors on occasion but it's a compromise. You can always wait for a Cloudy Day or two but you may be waiting for awhile.

Happy snapshots!!!!
    Dan
    My Smugmug Snaps

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2005
    Here's the milky water produced with a 4 second exposure using a 2.0 ND filter. The only way to get these types of shots with enough DOF in daylight.

24998205-L.jpg