Bouncing in Austin

adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
edited November 24, 2009 in People
Like Randy, I took Neil Van Niekirk's class last week, but in Austin. It was good to get some of the theoretical understanding pushed in the practical understanding in a small guided group. The next class will be in New York (or that general area) in 2010. He indicated that he wasn't going to go on the road again in 2010.

1. Lit from a single can above (dimly) and accented with flash bounced high and to the left.
722827350_yhD9s-L.jpg

2. In the dining room. There is some ambient window light coming from camera right. Flash is forward, up and left. Flagged from her face.
722827499_ARvJU-L.jpg

3. Same locale. Flash bounced a to the right and not as far forward as the prior one.
722827378_MAbLX-L.jpg

4. Shot in a large artrium. Even with skylights (10 stories up) the ambient in here wasn't so wonderful. This was at the edge of this atrium, so light was a bit darker here. Since there is no ceiling above her directly, light is bounced just slightly behind me to the left. Does the B/W conversion work well here?
722827308_EspY5-L.jpg
- Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
My SmugMug Site

Comments

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2009
    Hey Andrew,

As I stated in my thread, viewers will not be able to tell how bad these shots would have looked without the use of techniques that Neil teaches. All they can see (of course) is how well they look here. You've done a really nice job with these. I'm glad that you were able to attend Neil's workshop and gain first-hand experience using the techniques. (me too!)

Thanks for posting up some of your images!
    Randy
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2009
    do you have any "before" shots andrew?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2009
    Alas, no. Perhaps what I need to do is just create some images of my kid (if she'll humor me) to see what happens with the light in a couple of rooms around our house.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited November 24, 2009
    Here you go. In this case I wanted to bounce the flash somewhat forward to get side-lighting. The flash was angled up about 45-deg and forward about 30 deg to bounce at the at the side of my face.

First w/o a black foamie thing:

723227210_24PiP-M.jpg

Then with the black foamie thing:
    723227260_Dwed4-M.jpg

I apologize for any damage these images may have done to your retinas or monitors...

In this particular case, I have racoon eyes because my ambient was nearly zero (100% from the flash pretty much). so I really needed to have some reflector around, or pop up the ISO some more to get some ambient light under my eyes.
    The difference is much less so when you bounce away, from the subject, but since you get much more directional light with the 1/2-snoot, you end up with more directional light in the bounce, it just isn't as blatant as in these two shots.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • CoryUTCoryUT Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2009
    Well done Andrew. I need to learn about this lighting thing.

Is that a longhorn shirt? :D
    Daily Shot
    My Photographic Adventures

Nikon D7000 | 10-20 | 50 | 55-200
    edited November 24, 2009
    Just burnt orange.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site