Solitary trees on a lonely lane

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,088 moderator
edited November 24, 2009 in Landscapes
The back story is that these 2 trees are maybe 80-90 feet apart, on the same patch of land. They are beside an old country lane, that is now an access road to a small parcel of farmable land. I almost drove right by it.

I was trying for 2 different effects, and I think they are indeed 2 very different images.

In the first, I wanted to show how the red tones in the opposite sky affected the land and also the tree trunk. While the colors are exaggerated somewhat, the toning effect is originally natural.

722883295_GCV24-O.jpg

The second image is just a rather solitary tree, with a diminutive farm scene off in the distance. The graduated filter in ACR was used to balance the sky and the foreground. The lane serves to bound the tree and the ditch provides a natural vignette.

722883363_FjMQT-O.jpg

Both are with the Canon 5D MKII body.

The first image is using the EF 28-80mm, f2.8-f4L USM, @f5.6

The second image is using the EF 17-40mm, f4L USM, also @f5.6

Note: They seem over-sharpened now in the web size. I will correct and replace in a little bit. Edit: Changes are made.
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2009
    Beautiful photos Ziggy i really liked the 2nd shot
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,088 moderator
    edited November 24, 2009
    Beautiful photos Ziggy i really liked the 2nd shot

Thanks Awais. I also have a 4 - image stitched version (nearly 70 MPixels), but I liked the single exposure better.
    ziggy53
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2009
    Ziggy - Glad to see some shots from you! :D I really like the 2nd one a lot! I'm a sucker for trees, and I like the setting of this one with the farm buildings in the distance and the angled ditch alongside. Nice!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,088 moderator
    edited November 24, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    Ziggy - Glad to see some shots from you! :D I really like the 2nd one a lot! I'm a sucker for trees, and I like the setting of this one with the farm buildings in the distance and the angled ditch alongside. Nice!

Lauren

Thanks Lauren. I was just out driving and this was off of a road I have never been on, about 1/2 hour from home. Sometimes the simplest discoveries are close to home.
    ziggy53