Help me pick a Canon DSLR

CaneelCaneel Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited December 2, 2009 in Cameras
After banging my head against the wall for 3 months, I am admitting I need professional help.

FYI – the closest camera shop is more than an hour from where I live so going to see someone in person isn’t an option.

Here is my situation:
I have been using a Canon Powershot for four years. Can’t remember the exact model (its at home, I am at work) but it is one of the SX1 IS types. I enjoyed it, like the Canon product but it is time to upgrade.

I want a Canon DSLR but can’t decide which model. I have read and re-read the product descriptions as well as on-line reviews and comparisons. I was guided to this site by a travel forum acquaintance.

My needs and desires:

Speed – We have a young child. By the time my current Powershot gears up, focuses, and captures the shot, he is on to the next adorable thing and I miss it.

Fun and experimentation – I like to shot any interesting thing that I come across. Do a lot of shooting on vacation. We spend a lot of time outdoors and I like taking pictures of scenery and wild animals. Some stuff turns out pretty good and I am interested in building on it as a hobby.

I do have a need to take pictures of buildings for work so would like to add on a wide angle for that task.

To date, I haven’t done anything to enhance/edit my pictures aside from removing red eyes.

At first I was totally set on a Rebel (edited) T1i based totally on the recommendation from a friend.

Then as I started researching, the EOS Rebel XSi started looking good.

I can’t decide between the two. Based on what I told you, what is your opinion?

The price difference between the two kits is about $135. Not a small sum but if the XTi is a better choice for me, I am ok with the price difference. The lenses appear to be the same.

I was planning on going with a kit and using the kit lens until I feel comfortable with the new DSLR. After the breaking-in period what recommendations do you have for a good, all purpose lens and a wide angle (or whatever I need) to take pictures of buildings? (plain old commercial buildings like factories and warehouses, if that matters)

If you stuck with me this long, thanks! I value any options and guidance you all offer.

Sorry about the colors, I can't figure out how to change it now that I did the post.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited November 24, 2009
    Caneel, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

I removed the text formatting for you. Please use the DGrin edit box and type directly or use a text editor instead of a word processor to prevent the problem.

Either the older XSi or newer T1i is still current. The XTi is probably going to be hard to find new.

The XTi in a kit form would probably also have the older non-IS version of the kit lens, which is optically inferior to the current IS kit lens. (I believe that the XS model replaces the XTi as the lowest entry-level Canon camera.)

Any of the above models is capable of delivering very nice results. The T1i also has an ISO 3200, which may help with some low-light work.

It is possible that you may need a faster camera and lens than any of these above in order to consistently capture a fast-moving child. The problem is closing speed and the rate of change of focus. At close proximity, a child can have a closing rate faster than a race car at further distance. It is that closing rate that can make the difference. If the child is moving "across" the scene, the situation is much improved.

An electronic flash can also make a tremendous difference in that the effective shutter speed can be much faster with electronic flash, which can reduce motion blur. In order to prevent the problems of a P&S flash, it's also nice to use either bounce technique or even off-camera flash, but mostly an external flash is a good start.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • CaneelCaneel Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited November 24, 2009
    Thanks for the "fix" I did type my original post in Word.
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Either the older XSi or newer T1i is still current. The XTi is probably going to be hard to find new.

The XTi in a kit form would probably also have the older non-IS version of the kit lens, which is optically inferior to the current IS kit lens. (I believe that the XS model replaces the XTi as the lowest entry-level Canon camera.)

I mixed up the T1i and XTi (you are right, the one XTi kit I saw did not have the IS lens). I have so many notes that I typed the wrong letters.

A flash was my next concern, after I get the camera. Or should I be thinking about both at the same time?

It is the T1i that I am considering against the XSi.
  • gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2009
    the XSi takes great photos...i just sold mine after 1.5yrs of happy use. will you want video capability? if so, then the T1i is the way to go, assuming budget is in-line with what you want to spend.

before any purchase, i would definitely go to a store and hold each camera body...feel is very important, regardless of functionality. i think that accounts for a high percentage of canon vs. nikon arguments, whether people realize it or not. :D

either way, you can't lose with your choice...they are all great cameras!
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
    edited November 24, 2009
    Video may send me towards the T1i. I take some video now but would likely take much more with a better camera.

I am itching to order as I want to play before the holidays.
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2009
    Keep in mind that it may not be a replacement for a camcorder in that it doesn't really do continuous autofocus. Or that's what I gather...
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2009
    Caneel wrote:
    Video may send me towards the T1i. I take some video now but would likely take much more with a better camera.

I am itching to order as I want to play before the holidays.

The XSi is nice but if the T1i (500D) is only $135 more get it. Wait until you use the kit lens for a while before spending on lens and flashes, a little learning goes a long way in spending wisely!
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2009
    I spent my first year with digital (I learned with film years ago) with an XTi, which is less capable than either the XSi or T1i. It was a very good camera for learning.

To answer a question you didn't ask, you wrote:
    To date, I haven’t done anything to enhance/edit my pictures aside from removing red eyes.
    Learning how to edit your pictures would make FAR more difference than the small difference between these two cameras. It's a long climb to get really proficient, but even simple stuff helps a great deal.
  • agphotographyagphotography Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited November 24, 2009
    If you're not afraid to buy used, I would also consider a 40D + lens + 430exII flash. the 40D will have faster AF, faster FPS, and still very solid IQ (I still use one for sports shooting)

Just a thought.

That being said, if I had to choose between the rebels I would for sure pick the T1i, just HAVING the video functionality available is a nice perk, especially with children.

The kit lens will be sufficient, but when you're ready to expand your lenses then look at things like the canon 10-22mm, or the really nice Tokina 11-16mm.

I also agree that some kind of external flash is invaluable to have, it may take some learning, but having it is better than not.

I guess it really boils down to how much you are comfortable spending right now. But be prepared to have that never stop. You will keep buying lenses and bodies and accessories... Just bein honest ;)
    edited November 25, 2009
    Ok T1i it is!

Off to shop....someone, who have bought from them for years, recommended B & H to me

I would love to hear any other recommendations. (hope it is ok to say that in this thread.)

Because there aren't any camera shops in my area, I am pretty much set on buying on line.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited November 25, 2009
    Caneel wrote:
    Ok T1i it is!

Off to shop....someone, who have bought from them for years, recommended B & H to me

I would love to hear any other recommendations. (hope it is ok to say that in this thread.)

Because there aren't any camera shops in my area, I am pretty much set on buying on line.

I too love and recommend B&H, Adorama and Tallyn's. All are wonderful before and after the sale and competitive prices compared to other reputable vendors.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

http://www.adorama.com/

http://www.tallyns.com/content/start.htm
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    FWIW - 15524779-Ti.gifnod.gif with all Ziggy has said. He's one of the many "go to people" on this site!
    edited December 2, 2009
    Update - My new Canon T1i is on the way! I used one of Twiggy's recommendations and purchased from B & H. With all the research and comparison shopping I did, I didn't find too much variation in price.

Thanks for the guidance and you will be seeing me around as I experience my new toy!

I am going to play around for a while before I add a lense (need a wide angle) and a general use flash
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 2, 2009
    Caneel wrote:
    I used one of Twiggy's recommendations ...

Classic!!! :lol