What is a good training DVD?

JoshFJoshF Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
edited December 5, 2009 in Technique
I am looking to see if there are any good DSLR training DVD's out there. I am signed up for a class but it doesn't start until Mid December and I would love to get started sooner than that. I ordered Scott Kelby's book and would like to also have some on screen training. I appreciate your recommendation.

Comments

• IdahoMotomomIdahoMotomom Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited November 24, 2009
    JoshF wrote:
    I am looking to see if there are any good DSLR training DVD's out there. I am signed up for a class but it doesn't start until Mid December and I would love to get started sooner than that. I ordered Scott Kelby's book and would like to also have some on screen training. I appreciate your recommendation.

Poke around youtube. Some are good, some are bad. You'll know which ones are which quickly. But, I've picked up some help along the way using that source.
  • CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    JoshF wrote:

Lynda.com sells DVDs but better yet is the on-line video subscription to the entire library. If I recall correctly Taz Tally or Dave Cross (???) have some beginner videos.
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 25, 2009
    JoshF wrote:

Camera technique? Or are you asking about post processing and editing images?

What camera system as well? I see you have a 7D perhaps?

Do you understand general photographic techniques, and are interested in how DSLRs differ, or is this your first camera?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • JoshFJoshF Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited November 27, 2009
    I found some great training at BC Photo on phototips.biz. For $20 I got about 40 videos covering basics of taking digital photos, understanding settings and composition. My camera is finally off fully automatic mode and will never see it again.
  • AntonlmAntonlm Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    JoshF wrote:
    I found some great training at BC Photo on phototips.biz. For $20 I got about 40 videos covering basics of taking digital photos, understanding settings and composition. My camera is finally off fully automatic mode and will never see it again.

Thanks for the link. Not bad for 20 bucks! And his free tutorials are just as good.
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    I've used Kelby online training before, as well as Lynda. There are also some pretty good DVD sets available for different things. There are lots of resources but it may be helpful for you to provide the answers to Pathfinder's questions first. That way everyone can make the recommendation that they feel best suits your needs.

Edit: sorry, didn't realize this was and older post.