Options

Help! Over-saturated Reds Converting to JPG

kadac00kadac00 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited November 24, 2009 in Finishing School
I've recently purchased a new system and have gotten my workflow for processing photos re-established. However the first batch of photos that I've processed in the same manner have over-saturated reds. You can see an example of what I'm talking about here:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
http://www.dacphoto.com/People/Lemke-Thanksgiving/10409479_iuCNt#721172714_32jQN<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I can view the raw images in Bridge CS4 and Photoshop CS4 and the corresponding JPG's that I create and they seem fine, but outside Bridge and Photoshop either in windows or a browser the reds seem overly intense. The old system was Windows XP and CS3 and the new system is Vista 64 bit and CS4 if that is a clue for anyone and yes, the monitor is calibrated.<o:p></o:p>
I used to have camera raw set to convert to Adobe RGB and 16 bit. I did try variations of setting the working space to sRGB and having it convert to sRGB on open. I also tried setting it to Adobe RGB and then manually converting to sRGB. Also tried variations of embedding profile or not but no luck.<o:p></o:p>
One thing to note, If I have the image open in Photoshop and do Save to Web and monitor profile checkbox is checked I get the saturated reds but if its unchecked the colors look right.<o:p></o:p>

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 24, 2009
    kadac00 wrote:
    I've recently purchased a new system and have gotten my workflow for processing photos re-established. However the first batch of photos that I've processed in the same manner have over-saturated reds. You can see an example of what I'm talking about here:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    http://www.dacphoto.com/People/Lemke-Thanksgiving/10409479_iuCNt#721172714_32jQN<o:p></o:p>
    I can view the raw images in Bridge CS4 and Photoshop CS4 and the corresponding JPG's that I create and they seem fine, but outside Bridge and Photoshop either in windows or a browser the reds seem overly intense. The old system was Windows XP and CS3 and the new system is Vista 64 bit and CS4 if that is a clue for anyone and yes, the monitor is calibrated.<o:p></o:p>
    I used to have camera raw set to convert to Adobe RGB and 16 bit. I did try variations of setting the working space to sRGB and having it convert to sRGB on open. I also tried setting it to Adobe RGB and then manually converting to sRGB. Also tried variations of embedding profile or not but no luck.<o:p></o:p>
    One thing to note, If I have the image open in Photoshop and do Save to Web and monitor profile checkbox is checked I get the saturated reds but if its unchecked the colors look right.<o:p></o:p>

The colors you see in Photoshop should be correct if you have a monitor carefully calibrated with a hardware device like an i1D2 colorimeter. Outside of Bridge and Photoshop, the image profiles are not used by your video display, so all bets are off.

If you "Save for Web" the profiles are stripped from the file. You need to Edit > Convert to Profile > sRGB for images destined for the web, or for images to be printed by a web based printing agency.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin