Options

Competive Cheerleading

tjl1388tjl1388 Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
edited January 7, 2010 in Sports
First let me say that this was the hardest shoot I have ever done and I have a new found respect for cheerleaders as the true athletes that they are. At least my son is fully padded when he get pounded to a pulp.

C&C as always appreciated and desired.

I like this one ALOT!! I know it will get butchered technique wise but I'll live with it.
720736346_A7uiF-L.jpg

Caught her mid-Wink. Lucky Shot.
721392372_JFYYK-L.jpg

721411528_fWRKZ-L.jpg

Love the hair flying around.
722433994_S8jaU-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Rocketman766Rocketman766 Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    Since I mainly shoot All-Star Cheerleading right now, its good to see another thread for it here. I do like that you did something different with the first shot, but still undecided on it. The others seem to have a gold tint to them ( viewing at work, cheap monitor here.) I am still learning with every event I shoot, but I have noticed (from my experience) that the parents really love the shots when the flyers hit their peak and nail a good cheer face.
    What are you shooting with?
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2009
    Since I mainly shoot All-Star Cheerleading right now, its good to see another thread for it here. I do like that you did something different with the first shot, but still undecided on it. The others seem to have a gold tint to them ( viewing at work, cheap monitor here.) I am still learning with every event I shoot, but I have noticed (from my experience) that the parents really love the shots when the flyers hit their peak and nail a good cheer face.
    What are you shooting with?

70-200 2.8 on a D300. My wb was off, this was my first shoot. I was a little taken aback by the intensity of the competition.
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2009
    When do you shoot again? Be interested in seeing some from the next event.
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2009
    When do you shoot again? Be interested in seeing some from the next event.

Two weeks. Not sure if I am gonna rent the lens again or not. It was alot of work for not alot of money and I ended up with not a single shot of my own kid. Now all the Moms think they have a team photographer...they don't understand the work that comes with it.
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2009
    I felt the same way about doing it again after the first one I shot "for everyone". It was all the moms who convinced me to keep going and yet only 1, (ONE!!!!) out of a 150ish bought any. Lucky for me, I was able to land a few events to cover and built up some repeat clients and made enough to justify still doing it. As far as shots of my own daughter, I have been in trouble with my wife a few times for not getting enough shots of our daughter. When I cover an event and her teams cheers in it, I have to keep in mind that I am there for everyone, when we go to an event that I am NOT the event photog, I click off TONS of her to make my wife happy. I have made sure to let all the moms know I am not the gym photog (ie. free pics to them...)
  • Options
    rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    I have looked at this thread several times and I still cannot figure out what is going on in the first shot. I like the action and expressions in the others but as others have stated it appears your skin tones are in need of refinement.

No one can say that cheerleaders now days are not atheletes
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • Options
    rogerchesterrogerchester Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2010
    cheerleading is a good way to learn your camera set up
    500745245_yixco-M.jpg I shoot cheerleading its a good way to learn how to set your camera for bad lighting and trying to get your shutter speed up with low noise. I shoot competition events and local events local events is more difficult with the gym lights. I wish i could sell more. I keep my prices low dosent seam to help.

www.r-prescott.smugmug.com

7745006_GVumG#500745245_yixco-A-LB
    canon 40D EF70- 200mm 1:2.8 l is usm EF28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM