Options

Do you buy warrantys?

JoshFJoshF Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
edited November 30, 2009 in Cameras
I am being offered a 2 year Mack warranty on my 7D for $254. It covers accidental damage so if I damage the camera in a drop or accident it will replace it. It also includes 2 sensor cleanings. Do you guys recommend this?

Thanks,

Josh

Comments

• Options
    taxmantaxman Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited November 26, 2009
    I suggest "YES"
    JoshF wrote:
    I am being offered a 2 year Mack warranty on my 7D for $254. It covers accidental damage so if I damage the camera in a drop or accident it will replace it. It also includes 2 sensor cleanings. Do you guys recommend this?

Thanks,

Josh
    I purchased a three year warranty for my Nikon D200 and after two and one half years the camera went bad...would not boot up at all. Seemed like there was no battery in it at all. I took it back to the dealer (I always use a local dealer for purchases) and they sent it to the repair facility. After about 3 weeks I got the housing back with practically everything inside replaced...NO CHARGE.wings.gif
  • Options
    JovesJoves Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2009
    taxman wrote:
    I purchased a three year warranty for my Nikon D200 and after two and one half years the camera went bad...would not boot up at all. Seemed like there was no battery in it at all. I took it back to the dealer (I always use a local dealer for purchases) and they sent it to the repair facility. After about 3 weeks I got the housing back with practically everything inside replaced...NO CHARGE.wings.gif
    I did the same when I bought my D300 and, got the Nikon extended. I figured with the money I was spending on it, I would cover myself.
    I shoot therefore Iam.
    http://joves.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    JonnyyayaJonnyyaya Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2009
    This is what I have on my Cameras, One of mine has been underwater and one was broke by getting hit while holding it at a track. They both were covered Free they gave me new ones. Here is the policy terms.Also Free Unlimted Sensor Cleanings .

ESP-Expanded Service Policy

Benefits You Never Know What the Future May Bring!
    ESP -Expanded Service Policy- Damage Protection Plan
    With ESP you never have to worry about...
    ...Mechanical Malfunction
    ...Accidental Damage
    ...Moisture Damage

ESP-Expanded Service Policy plan is our way of alleviating yours fears about the possibility of catastrophic damage to your expensive photographic and electronic equipment. The plan covers new equipment purchased from us for more than $30.00 and may be obtained at time of purchase on our web site, or within 30 days of purchase!
    Look over our policy-you'll find no "small print" -

You are covered for just about anything that may occur to your equipment.
    What's Covered

This plan covers any equipment specified below which is rendered unusable due to:

• -Defects in Material or Workmanship.
      -Mechanical or Electrical Failure.
      -Wear and Tear from Normal or Excessive Use
      -Effects of shock or trauma.

Problems Caused by:
      -Excessive Heat or Cold
      -Moisture caused by Fresh, Salt or Brackish Water.
      -Exposure to Chemicals.
    This plan will provide for repair or replacement to correct any covered malfunction, so long as the problem is reported within seven days after the expiration date of this plan. If the repair is considered uneconomical to repair, we will replace your equipment with a similar model or credit the purchase price of the equipment toward the purchase of other equipment of equal or higher price from

This Plan Specifically Excludes Reparation For:

• -Cosmetic damage (scratches, dents, etc.) that does not impair the equipment's mechanical or optical function.
      -Theft or mysterious disappearance.
      -Damage or malfunction due to fire or the effects of fire.
      -Consequential damage.
    With Our ESP-Expanded Service Policy You Never Have to Worry About...

• -Mechanical or Electrical Malfunction
      -Performance Problems Caused by Normal or Excessive Use
    Our ESP-Expanded Service Policy is our way of alleviating your fears about the possibility of malfunctions or breakdown of or defects in your valuable photographic/electronic equipment.
    The plan covers new equipment purchased from us for more than $30, and may be obtained at the time of purchase or within the following 30 days.
  • Options
    OzzwaldOzzwald Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2009
    Jonnyyaya wrote:
    ESP-Expanded Service Policy

what online vendor should we order from, that provides these warranties?
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2009
    I normally shop ebay for Mack warranties for new equipment.......I bought a 5 yr warratny for a Konica Minolta 7D for under $100.........a lot of place a 1yr warranty runs 10% or so of the items new cost.......

Normally for used equipment I shop Ebay almost exclusively due to being ble to purchase a square trade warranty for most items, especially cam bods and other big ticket items...............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2009
    I mis-spent about a decade of my life in retail sales, and if there's one thing I learned it's this: warranty companies go out of business with no warning. If you must get a warranty, make sure it is from the manufacturer. They might still go belly up, but you'll probably have more warning about that happening than if Third-Party Warranty, LLC does.

So, first order of the day: find out who is underwriting the warranty. If it's the store itself, turn around and run away. I can't count the number of friends who told me that their warranty was fine, it was underwritten by CompUSA or Circuit City or whatever. 'Cause, you know, what is the likelyhood of either of those companies going out of business, right?

The third party warranties aren't much better. They will be cheaper than manufacturer's warranties. There is a reason for that: they don't have a clear understanding of the actual cost of warranting a product.

Here's the lifecycle of a typical third party warranty company:

1. Start up. Get connected with a store or chain or product.
    2. Start raking in money from warranty sales. Put aside reserves to pay claims.
    3. Honeymoon period: sales > claims. Everyone is happy.
    4. Eventually sales < claims.

When third party warranty companies go belly up, they do so with surprising swiftness. If you are lucky, you might get a part of the cost of your warranty back. Maybe.

If you must buy a warranty, get it from the manufacturer.
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    I normally shop ebay for Mack warranties for new equipment.......I bought a 5 yr warratny for a Konica Minolta 7D for under $100.........a lot of place a 1yr warranty runs 10% or so of the items new cost.......

Normally for used equipment I shop Ebay almost exclusively due to being ble to purchase a square trade warranty for most items, especially cam bods and other big ticket items...............

Usually they will cut you a deal, I got one of the cover everything Mack warranties on my S5 Pro for little money. (Not to mention I got the body for about 600 new wings.gif)
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2009
    I found a great deal at Adorama. $164 for the same warranty that my local dealer wanted $254 for. This one covers everything inclusing damage caused my user. If I drop my camera they will fix or replace it.
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    How on earth can they offer that and stay in business? If I paid $254 for a warranty that covered accidental damage, near the end of the coverage period I would just toss the camera to the pavement. Wouldn't everybody?

I typically avoid warranties because the math is in favor of you not needing to make a claim - that's why warranty sales is a profitable business model.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2009
    How on earth can they offer that and stay in business? If I paid $254 for a warranty that covered accidental damage, near the end of the coverage period I would just toss the camera to the pavement. Wouldn't everybody?

Thats insurance fraud.
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    JoshF wrote:
    Thats insurance fraud.

Yes it is, but it's not provable. If the insurance covers accidental breakage, they are on the hook if the camera hits the ground. No way to prove it was accidental or not. Pretty strange business model if you ask me.

This is another reason I don't buy warranties - part of the price goes to cover the people who defraud the system as above. And if you don't smash your camera to the ground and your warranty runs out unused, you're the fool left holding the bag. With your morals intact I guess. That plus a dollar will buy you a cup of coffee.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    holzphotoholzphoto Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    it's crazy to spend this much money on one item when you can have a rider thru your renter's/home owners to cover your whole gear.

there is no way i would ever buy a mack warranty with the option of real insurance.
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    JoshF wrote:
    I found a great deal at Adorama. $164 for the same warranty that my local dealer wanted $254 for. This one covers everything inclusing damage caused my user. If I drop my camera they will fix or replace it.

See my post above. Who underwrites that warranty? Hint, NOT ADORAMA. I'll bet body parts on it.