Having fun with Monica

marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
edited November 26, 2009 in People
I got to play with my ABR800 and some softboxes in a fellow photog's studio. We had Monica
from Model Mayhem come in with his (the other tog's) regular MUA.

1. The first two are with the ABR800 for main.
722660333_kXfGE-L-1.jpg

2. No light on bg this time.
723309232_adxuv-L-1.jpg

3. Just a single softbox with some afternoon sun from the windows behind her.
722660638_DHmwr-L-1.jpg

4. One softbox for main and another one on the far wall. She asked to do this pose (feet up,
back on the floor) but she was real stiff about her skirt flopping down. I'm not keen about her
hand being in that position, but hope it's not too noticeable.
722749280_yqk69-L-1.jpg

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 25, 2009
    Don't see any photos ne_nau.gif
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    Dangit. External links enabled now. Totally forgot.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    Last one is good. Would be great if she was closer to the wall and legs were higher up. It's a classic pinup position "Heels over head" and doing it half-way doesn't really work, at least for me... ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited November 26, 2009
    Thanks for commenting, Nik. She didn't want to put her feet up high (as it made her hem fall and reveal more of her thighs), which I didn't mind, but her hand was too stiff trying to keep the dress from riding up. The rest of the shots of that series had her hand there.

I would love it if you could expound on what makes the others "not good". Is it the crop, the lighting, just not your taste? Either way, I really appreciate it and thanks so much for taking the time to comment :)
  • laurenornotlaurenornot Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2009
    Nice! I like the angle & colors in the second shot best.
    edited November 26, 2009
    marikris wrote:
    Thanks for commenting, Nik. She didn't want to put her feet up high (as it made her hem fall and reveal more of her thighs), which I didn't mind, but her hand was too stiff trying to keep the dress from riding up. The rest of the shots of that series had her hand there.

I would love it if you could expound on what makes the others "not good". Is it the crop, the lighting, just not your taste? Either way, I really appreciate it and thanks so much for taking the time to comment :)
    Judging by the tightness of the fabric at the hem, she could stay on her head and still keep the skirt from falling down...-) Anyway, as I said, this is one of the classic poses that IMHO requires 100% of "application", otherwise it's only half-baked.

As for the rest...
    Didn't like #1 and #2 at all... Lighting, pose, facial expression, framing...

#3 is "a ok", but really nothing to write home about. WB seems to be off, and her relaxed pose kinda conflicts with the harsh lighting pattern, while the bright BG succeeds in stealing a large part of attention from the subject...ne_nau.gif

HTH
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Judging by the tightness of the fabric at the hem, she could stay on her head and still keep the skirt from falling down...-) Anyway, as I said, this is one of the classic poses that IMHO requires 100% of "application", otherwise it's only half-baked.

Just to add on....

My girls(daughters) frequently use some sort of double sided adhesive tape to prevent....er...wardrobe malfunctions.

Your work seems to lean toward fashion and I wonder whether it might not hurt to keep a supply of that stuff in your camera bag?

Trying to "get" a pose when your subject is trying to hold their clothing in position is an impossibility at best.
    edited November 26, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Just to add on....

My girls(daughters) frequently use some sort of double sided adhesive tape to prevent....er...wardrobe malfunctions.

Your work seems to lean toward fashion and I wonder whether it might not hurt to keep a supply of that stuff in your camera bag?

True, true... Gaffer tape or double sided tape if often a life-saver.
    As a reminder: in some cases it may be banned. Those of you who watched last season of PR know what I'm talking about.
    Trying to "get" a pose when your subject is trying to hold their clothing in position is an impossibility at best.
    That's (one of the reasons) why I prefer to exclude the clothing from the equation right off the bat :-) mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    In all seriousness, if this happens, I tend to say "Get the pose first, we'll adjust the clothing later. You hold the pose, I'll make sure the rest is in place". deal.gif
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    That's (one of the reasons) why I prefer to exclude the clothing from the equation right off the bat :-) mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    In all seriousness, if this happens, I tend to say "Get the pose first, we'll adjust the clothing later. You hold the pose, I'll make sure the rest is in place". deal.gif

rolleyes1.gif

Funny....

...unfortunately that wouldnt go over too well with the majority of my clients.

The pose first....adjust wardrobe after ....is sound advice.

One of the things I have frequently run into is a blouse or shirt that isnt compatable with the undergarment below. Sometimes....foregoing the bra is the easiest fix. Much quicker than fighting it on location and much much quicker than trying to edit an errant strap in post.
    edited November 26, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif
    One of the things I have frequently run into is a blouse or shirt that isnt compatable with the undergarment below. Sometimes....foregoing the bra is the easiest fix. Much quicker than fighting it on location and much much quicker than trying to edit an errant strap in post.
    Yeah.. Or advice the client to invest into adhesive cups or so called "nubra"...
    Anyway, I think we went far off the topic mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    edited November 26, 2009
    Oh pfft. Please keep talking - it's always good to know the tricks of the trade. I have tons of adhesive tapes, but I don't know why it never occurred to me to bring some.