Options

Hurry up and wait

PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
edited November 27, 2009 in Street and Documentary
Passed the time while waiting for my bus out of Toronto this morning at the station

724070454_xYL9u-L.jpg

In this one I tried cropping out the pedestrian in the background on the left but I thought it lost some context without her there. I'd like to know what others think.

724070257_5P7Ht-L.jpg

724099118_dZfjp-L.jpg
The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography

Comments

• Options
    PMCPMC Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2009
    Hi Patti, here are some thoughts I had while looking at your photo:

I like number 2 the best. I think leaving the pedestrian on the left gives the photo a bit of balance. She is just blurred enough to not be a distraction to me.

I want to like number 1 but I'm not sure what the interaction between the two people is. Is the guy on the right trying to help the man on the left or calm him down. I imagine there was a moment either side of this where there might have been a stronger emotion on display.

For number 3, I enjoyed loking down the line and seeing each person doing something different. It was then a nice surprise to see the final guy bent over and rummaging in his bags. It was a nice symbolic full stop. Unfortunately, I just don't feel any connection to their (what could be a long) wait at the bus stop. I don't want to say it, but...I wonder if getting closer would have helped...mwink.gif

P
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2009
    PMC wrote:
    Hi Patti, here are some thoughts I had while looking at your photo:

I like number 2 the best. I think leaving the pedestrian on the left gives the photo a bit of balance. She is just blurred enough to not be a distraction to me.

I want to like number 1 but I'm not sure what the interaction between the two people is. Is the guy on the right trying to help the man on the left or calm him down. I imagine there was a moment either side of this where there might have been a stronger emotion on display.

For number 3, I enjoyed loking down the line and seeing each person doing something different. It was then a nice surprise to see the final guy bent over and rummaging in his bags. It was a nice symbolic full stop. Unfortunately, I just don't feel any connection to their (what could be a long) wait at the bus stop. I don't want to say it, but...I wonder if getting closer would have helped...mwink.gif

P

Thanks PMC for your comments. Much appreciated.

#2 is also my favourite of the group. I wondered if he was enjoying the music the young man playing his mandolin.

#1 The ambiguity of the interaction between the cabbie and passenger was what I liked about the shot. It's hard to tell if the passenger was going willingly. Laughing.gif

#3 I wish I'd had a very WA lens so that I could get the whole line in at close range. Unfortunately my 85 1.4 was on the camera, thus the distance. I thought the variety of body language was interesting. I find it interesting to watch how people occupy themselves when standing in line for things.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    PMCPMC Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited November 27, 2009
    #1 The ambiguity of the interaction between the cabbie and passenger was what I liked about the shot. It's hard to tell if the passenger was going willingly. Laughing.gif

Haha! You'd better watch out for a rogue taxi driver bundling people in the back of his cab, driving round the corner, and kicking them out after charging an exorbitant rate.rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2009
    Patti wrote:
    Passed the time while waiting for my bus out of Toronto this morning at the station

Number two is definitely the winner - Number 3 isn't much of anything. Number one is interesting, although I have trouble relating your caption to what I'm seeing, and I wish you'd been close to the 'discussion.' :-) But number two is a strong image; good composition, expressions. Well done.clap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2009
    Thanks B.D. I should have pulled the caption. Initially I'd planned to just post #2, thus the caption. I really should have stuck to my original intention. I thought contextually the first was decent - cab in the photo, cabbie in the background but I see yours and PMC's point. I'll keep plugging along.

patti hinton photography