Can I use a Canon 244T speedlite with an XTi?

CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
edited November 26, 2009 in Cameras
First, Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Hopefully one or two folks will stop by later that can help answer this question! :D

Tomorrow I'm helping some friends by taking some engagement photos for them. We've agreed to meet early enough that I can use the good sunset light for them since I don't have a flash. Or at least I didn't. My dad's a bit of an ebay hound and bought an older Canon film camera that came with a Canon 244T speedlight. (Since he lives overseas, it was shipped to me to hold on to until there's enough for a large shipment) So, I've got a flash unit now. BUT will it work with my XTi from the hot shoe? Or will my camera?

There's no manual flash button on the flash that I can find, so either it'll work from the hot shoe, or I'll leave it at home and not risk my camera.

Thanks! :thumb
Chris
SmugMug QA
My Photos

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited November 26, 2009
    The Canon 244T should be voltage safe with a modern digital camera, according to this site:

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

The 244T user manual is at:

http://www.cameramanuals.org/flashes_meters/speedlite_244t.pdf

Note that this flash was designed to work only with Canon T50 film cameras from around 1985. (It may also work with the T70 through T90 too.)

I am unclear if it will work at all on any modern camera since it appears to have a connection designed to set the aperture of the T50 and I don't know if that will impact a modern camera or not. (It may do nothing or it may be dangerous.)

I have a suspicion that it will not be much use for you but I honestly don't know for sure.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2009
    Thanks for the quick reply, Ziggy!

Since the connection to set the apeture my be dangerous, I'll err on the side of caution and leave it off the XTi.
    It does work with the camera it was bought with though (not sure which model off the top of my head) so I may pacl both and use the combo as an off camera flash with the XTi on a tripod. It'll at least be fun to experiment with!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos