Whaddaya think?

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited November 29, 2009 in People
I shared this shot several weeks ago, but decided to give it a go with a new treatment I have been working on with Lightroom.

The border was added in PS.

723946433_56eNd-L.jpg

...and the original....

692011269_V8gvq-S.jpg

Comments

• AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2009
    First of all, your daughter(s!) are soooo beautiful!!!

I like the treatment, ... the only think that bums me a bit it the tight crop ... or maybe it's because her eyes are on the (horizontal) center line? ne_nau.gif

Hope you are having a fun Thanksgiving with your family!! iloveyou.gif
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2009
    Agnieszka wrote:
    First of all, your daughter(s!) are soooo beautiful!!!

I like the treatment, ... the only think that bums me a bit it the tight crop ... or maybe it's because her eyes are on the (horizontal) center line? ne_nau.gif

Hope you are having a fun Thanksgiving with your family!! iloveyou.gif

Thanks Agnies

This was a snapshot from the afternoon of her high school's homecoming dance. We have usually met up with a large group of kids at one home so they could all get some photos of(and with) one another and then leave together for whatever restuarant they have chosen. Its a fun time, and is great practice for grabbing quick candids...and formals....on short notice.

" Hey Dad can you take a picture of me and Emily"....and 8 seconds later "Hey Dad...can you take a pic...."

That's kinda how it goes. And of course....Dad....is spinning toward the sun....away from the sun...into the shade under a tree....and every other direction fopr said shots. It's great fun.

I am planning to do a book of photos from her senior year. Not sure whether it will be square or landscape format yet, but I am definately including this shot. Thanks for the suggestion on the crop.

Oh...and as for thanksgiving.....

We ate too much.......I have to work at 4AM.....and the girls are all in bed so they can get up and go shopping at mid-night.

Ahhhh....the LIFE!!!rolleyes1.gif
    edited November 26, 2009
    Oh my!! Midnight shopping?? rolleyes1.gif And ouch for having to go to work at 4am the day after Thanksgiving!! eek7.gif

I think a square crop would work GREAT for this shot!!! iloveyou.gif
    edited November 26, 2009
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Oh my!! Midnight shopping?? rolleyes1.gif And ouch for having to go to work at 4am the day after Thanksgiving!! eek7.gif

I think a square crop would work GREAT for this shot!!! iloveyou.gif

Thats what I was thinking as well......and it could be used as an inset on one side of a doubly spread landscape formatted book....or as a page filler in the square format.

Good thinkin!!thumb.gif
    edited November 26, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    it could be used as an inset on one side of a doubly spread landscape formatted book....or as a page filler in the square format.

thumb.gif
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2009
    Square
    Yes - Square it! I am also in border mode myself so I like it a lot with the thin border. I've been using a black keyline with a white border on a number of pix lately.

I don't know how you design albums but it could be an opaque background with the color treatment too.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2009
    I like your treatment. I also love the light in the portrait and agree with Angie that you certainly have a beautiful daughter.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2009
    I am not a fan of the treatment. headscratch.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2009
    Very lovely. thumb.gif

One question, and I'm asking this to learn and understand and not be critical...

The original shot has some blown highlights, which I understand is due to the random shooting conditions of the moment. Was the choice of treatment partly driven to minimize the impact of those hotspots? Looking at the histogram for the before and after, the red channel has a bunch of clipping. Does that clipping become part of treatment when you set things up in this higher key? I haven't really groked this sort of treatment.

Hope you recover from your early morning, and that your girls had success (however that is measured) in their midnight shopping frenzy.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2009
    I'm w/ Qarik, on this one. The 1st rendition tickles my appeals center more.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2009
    Actually Jeff, I like both versions. I think you could process this 50 ways and they'd all be nice. She has such a great smile. Cropping is personal preferrence so won't make any suggestions there. Get....some....sleep :D
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited November 27, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Very lovely. thumb.gif

One question, and I'm asking this to learn and understand and not be critical...

The original shot has some blown highlights, which I understand is due to the random shooting conditions of the moment. Was the choice of treatment partly driven to minimize the impact of those hotspots? Looking at the histogram for the before and after, the red channel has a bunch of clipping. Does that clipping become part of treatment when you set things up in this higher key? I haven't really groked this sort of treatment.

Hope you recover from your early morning, and that your girls had success (however that is measured) in their midnight shopping frenzy.

Using the dropper in CS3 on the original only the bright bits of sky above here head measure as blown, so no the treatment was chosen for the treatment....not to control or mask highlight issues. I do push my exposures to the right....both in camera and in post to keep things at the upper limit so the prints dont come back dull and drab...and will let some bits of highlights go to pure white...but I at least TRY to be careful about the decisions in what parts are important and which arent.

The second question....about the red channel being clipped....

The essence of a split tone in Lightroom is to add one color or other to highlights and assign another to shadows and then apply saturation of that color to achieve a desired "look". So....(I havent grokked it either) your presumtion that clipping may be part of the package is probably a good one.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2009
    Thanks for the clarification.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • BriShayBriShay Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2009
    missed seeing your work since i've been gone, you are one of my many faves to check out on here...

TEACH ME TEACH ME Laughing.gif
    Shayna
    I'm a Nikon Girl:tuesday
    www.BriShayPhotography.com
  • toddbtoddb Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    nice
    Beautiful shot -- prefer the first one though. I like the little pop of the green grass. Either is great though.