getting colors right, canon pixma pro 9500

the supervillainthe supervillain Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
edited December 2, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
Hi everybody!
So I am fortunate enough to have gotten my paws on a pixma pro 9500
I am trying to get the prints to look like they do on my computer.
I know there is stuff to do with ICC profiles, color spaces etc. My concern is, how do I make them all work together?
I am shooting raw, in SRGB colorspace, should I be in adobeRGB, especially for printing??

Any tips or links would be great!!
thanks a lot
--Craig...
shoots things with a D80, an F1, and a Diana F+

My Gallery
Sign the guestbook :)!!

Comments

• Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2009
    Have you calibrated your monitor with a hardware tool?
    That's the first step.

M
  • the supervillainthe supervillain Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    I use a datacolor spyder 3 pro
    I am trying to figure that one out as well, I had calibrated, then the software asked me to update, and it seems a little off. I think I need to uninstall/reinstall the application.
    --Craig...

My Gallery
    edited December 1, 2009
    So, recalibrate. Try to have the calibration software target the display brightness around 110-120 cd2/m. That's a start.

Your printer is capable of printing within the aRGB gamut, but I would stay with sRGB as a less complicated starting point. Images saved to the web should be in that color space.

It would be worth doing serious homework about color management. I would think there is a tutorial or good links on the Dgrin site. The terminology can be confusing. Once your process works, everything photographic is so much better.

M
    I use a datacolor spyder 3 pro
    I am trying to figure that one out as well, I had calibrated, then the software asked me to update, and it seems a little off. I think I need to uninstall/reinstall the application.
    edited December 1, 2009
    should the calibration be any different on a laptop monitor??

thanks so much for your patience, its amazing to have this wonderful printer, then seeing the colors a bit off in the print was a little discouraging :D
    --Craig...

My Gallery
    edited December 1, 2009
    You are welcome.
    The calibration process will be the same, but the quality of a typical laptop display for photographic purposes is significantly lesser than a mid-range desktop monitor. My wife has new MacBook Pro with the matte screen--totally lovely to use--but it is still not close to my IPS working monitor I am typing this on.
    Worth calibrating a laptop for sure, but keep your scope of use reasonable. I would recommend performing serious retouching and editing on the larger display.

Your printer will amaze you pretty soon. The reality is that digital photography is still in a sort of adolescent phase. We haven't standardized many processes and file formats (all RAW files are different for example), and the vocabulary is still being worked out, so consider yourself a bit of a pioneer here with this kludgy calibration and color management stuff. I would think that this will all be automated within 5 years or so.

M
    should the calibration be any different on a laptop monitor??

thanks so much for your patience, its amazing to have this wonderful printer, then seeing the colors a bit off in the print was a little discouraging :D
    edited December 2, 2009
    well,
    my laptop monitor is pretty good. I have a 256mb dedicated graphic card and the monitor is at a resolution of 1920x1200.

but the issue I think is that the datacolor software wants me to adjust the monitor settings on the monitor itself, but I do not have those options, I am only able to adjust them in the graphics card settings.

Hopefully I will be able to play around with this again tonight!
    I will keep you posted.

I think I am going to have to look at ICC profiles as well, for the paper I am using. All this stuff is all new to me, you think you know a lot about photoshop and post processing, then you get this printer and you have to learn a whole slew of new things!
    Kind of exciting :)
    --Craig...

My Gallery