Old Jetty/Pier

DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
edited November 29, 2009 in Landscapes
Two versions of the old Payson Pier reaching out towards Popasquash Point. Walker's Cove, Bristol Harbor

724756169_5vLQG-L.jpg

724753808_Hz7za-L.jpg

C&C welcome,

Don
Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook

Comments

• TheReal7TheReal7 Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited November 27, 2009
    What a great subject to shoot! Love the composition of #1. I think on a different day with different weather conditions would make the shot! The sky is just too bland here. The horizon is a little tilted but that is an easy fix. If you can get to this location easily, I would definitely give it a 2nd try when the conditions are different! Maybe at sunrise/sunset?
    COLOR=Gray]artographer[/COLORCOLOR=Gray]melodic guitarist[/COLOR

"Look to others to for inspiration, look into yourself to inspire!"

www.scottkroeker.com | My Flickr
  • kwalshkwalsh Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2009
    I prefer the 1st composition, very nice! Recently I've been trying to follow the "if it doesn't add it detracts" theory of composition. In this case with the bland sky I'm not sure color is doing anything for the image. If you did a B&W conversion that would probably allow you to do some more extreme things with the tones and punch up the image a bit.

Anyway, great subject and composition.

Ken
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2009
    TheReal7 wrote:
    What a great subject to shoot! Love the composition of #1. I think on a different day with different weather conditions would make the shot! The sky is just too bland here. The horizon is a little tilted but that is an easy fix. If you can get to this location easily, I would definitely give it a 2nd try when the conditions are different! Maybe at sunrise/sunset?
    Thanks for looking! This is not far fro where my Parents live. Two - three houses along the shore. I have shot this pier before, but not in the fashion. It was a very blah day.

I will try to remember to shot again. This is on the way to where I shoot all the time at Blithewold Arboretum (See SM Galleries).

Horizon is level from L -R edge. Its curved using 17mm lens.

Don
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    edited November 27, 2009
    Thanks for the kind words, kwalsh.

Don
    edited November 27, 2009
    I took another look in LR2.6 at #1 and straightened it again:

724756169_5vLQG-L.jpg

:D
    Don
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    Great, Don! I love when water is partially transparent and partially reflective. Kudos to ya thumb.gif
  • Allan FGAllan FG Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    I like the first one, the composition really draws your eye up and into the shot.
    edited November 29, 2009
    Thank you for looking, schmoo and Allan FG! This is a place I have photoed before, but never thought to do a shot like this! I'm glad it worked out!

Don