Len's recommendation Requested

writewithlightwritewithlight Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited November 27, 2009 in Cameras
Hello Everyone...
This may not be the best board for this Q & if that is the case, please excuse me. I am looking for lens recommendation for closeup jewelry work but nothing super detailed. I want to be able to produce an image shat shows (as an example) all the stones in a ring; can read the inscription, i.e. 14ct on the inside of a ring or show the swirl pattern in a pearl. I will be shooting with Nikon gear, be it a D70 or the D700 I am about to pick up. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

[FONT=&quot]Be Blessed[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]D[/FONT][FONT=&quot]allas[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]P[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]A[/FONT][FONT=&quot]llbritton[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]W[/FONT][FONT=&quot]riting [/FONT][FONT=&quot]W[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ith [/FONT][FONT=&quot]L[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ight [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Photo[/FONT][FONT=&quot]graphy[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Photos You Can Afford[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]wwlphotos.smugmug.com [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] (615) 500-8006[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]D[/FONT][FONT=&quot]allas[/FONT][FONT=&quot] P[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT][FONT=&quot] A[/FONT][FONT=&quot]llbritton[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]W[/FONT][FONT=&quot]riting [/FONT][FONT=&quot]W[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ith [/FONT][FONT=&quot]L[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ight [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Photo[/FONT][FONT=&quot]graphy[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Photos You Can Afford[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]wwlphotos.com[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] (615) 500-8006[/FONT]

Comments

• dmeiselmandmeiselman Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited November 27, 2009
    close focus distance with the 60mm micro nikkors is in the realm of a couple of inches. The optics are magnificent, but if you want to have some room to work with (lighting) i'd suggest looking pretty seriously at the 105mm versions. Longer working distance, and it's a focal length quite different from standard zooms. The 105 2.8 micro AF-D can be had in the realm of 425 used.
    g'luck!
    D300|Tokina 12-24 f/4|Sigma 24mm f/1.8|Nikon 35 f/2|Tokina 50-135 f/2.8|AlienBees
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2009
    any macro lens will do really. They tend to be all very good optically. It just really depend on how much you want to spend on it.

nikkor 60mm

nikkor 105mm VR

tamron 90mm

sigma 105mm
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com