Options

**WCC (Weddings Challenge Contest) #4: ARCHITEXTURE**

MishkaMishka Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
edited December 26, 2009 in Weddings
We don't always have a pretty park, an elegant mansion, or a lovely beach to use for wedding portraits. Sometimes all we get is a city street to craft the beautiful images the bride wants.

So, this theme's challenge is for you to show off your most creative use of buildings, architecture, and/or urban backgrounds to produce stunning wedding portraits. Now, I'm all about bokeh and creamy backgrounds, but for this challenge I need to be able to tell that you've incorporated architecture and/or urban textures into the photo. Again, creativity is key.

And when I mentioned "textures," I do NOT mean applying textures to the photos in PS. I mean having actual urban background textures in the photos--you know, bricks, concrete, graffiti, etc.

If you haven't seen them already, here are the rules for entry. Let me know if you have any questions! And have fun!

-Mary

Comments

• Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2009
    Mishka wrote:
    We don't always have a pretty park, an elegant mansion, or a lovely beach to use for wedding portraits. Sometimes all we get is a city street to craft the beautiful images the bride wants.

So, this theme's challenge is for you to show off your most creative use of buildings, architecture, and/or urban backgrounds to produce stunning wedding portraits. Now, I'm all about bokeh and creamy backgrounds, but for this challenge I need to be able to tell that you've incorporated architecture and/or urban textures into the photo. Again, creativity is key.

And when I mentioned "textures," I do NOT mean applying textures to the photos in PS. I mean having actual urban background textures in the photos--you know, bricks, concrete, graffiti, etc.

If you haven't seen them already, here are the rules for entry. Let me know if you have any questions! And have fun!

-Mary

Nice topic Mary!!! This should be real competitive for sure. Lots of good urban shooters around here.

Just to clarify, we can blur our backgrounds as long as the background is discernible as urban/architectural or are you looking for fairly clear focus throughout?

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2009
    Yes, you can blur the backgrounds...as long as you can tell it's an urban setting. Which, you can still do even at f1.2 if you set it up right.
  • Options
    MA-FOTOMA-FOTO Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    playing.....
    here is my take....
    A wedding i shot in Taiwan in October. This is outside the reception hall just moments before they go in....

728614951_ByRLA-L.jpg
    Drive 50D ~ 24-70 L ~ 85mm ~ 28mm ~ Tammy 17-50 mm ~ Stuff
    ~
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    No new entries???

I'm sure everybody has some pics with an urban backgroundcheerleader.gif
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    Thanks for the prodding, Angie. Yours next, okay?

566117425_Vd8gk-XL.jpg
  • Options
    patfureyphotopatfureyphoto Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    735693688_Xtzf2-XL.jpg

It's always great to have clients with really spiffy L lenses for me to use for the shoot.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2009
    Here is mine :D It's just a pic of the bride, hope that's ok ... taken in a dodgy industrial part of town ... unfortunately they restored the elevator shaft / door shortly after I took the pic :cry

735692653_Kp9HA-X2.jpg
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    276653053_Jokm4-X2.jpg
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    Crystal-PixelCrystal-Pixel Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    Heres mine :)

623729214_wbwss-L-2.jpg
    Crystal Saly

My Smug: www.crystalpixelphotography.com
    My Site: www.crystal-pixel.com

"I'm in love with my Canon.. & lovely L Lenses..."
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2009
    From the Riverwalk in downtown Milwaukee.
    524302038_u68Ay-L.jpg
    Matt
    My Smugmug site

Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2009
  • Options
    cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2009
    It was sooo cold out, these girls had goosebumps, but humored me, thankfully!

703305539_qHaze-L.jpg
  • Options
    camarochickcamarochick Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    my first wedding shoot
    hope this counts...It is my fav photo out of the 1500 photos taken
    741135627_tQwn5-M.jpg
    Elizabeth "Beth" M.
    http://www.lizseventphotography.smugmug.com
    Canon XSi
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    I know it needs more work... suggestions for processing would be appreciated, though I know that this is not the place and I should just post it in the forum directly. Why this part of town has so many tan-colored bricks is beyond me; they're really not my favorite. Nonetheless, here it is:

Ti Amo
    733918658_uJKQa-L.jpg
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    One of my favorites:

606948259_SyfMt-L.jpg
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    No texture added here...just a quick adjustment within Camera Raw to the "blacks" slider and the granite wall spoke for itself. mwink.gif

4197464233_78c6cea322_o.jpg
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2009
    I left town with out looking for a photo to enter, so this is pulled from my blog for this month (I'm still playing with slow shutter speeds).

rose-6.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2009
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2009
    Congratulations Angie--you're my #2 pick!
    Agnieszka wrote:
    735692653_Kp9HA-X2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2009
    Congratulations lilmomma--you're pick #3!
    lilmomma wrote:

606948259_SyfMt-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2009
    Congrats Pat & lilmomma clap.gif wings.gif

• Options
    edited December 23, 2009
    First of all--thanks to everyone who submitted photos for this contest...there were a lot of wonderful entries. And I know this is a busy time of the year with the holidays and such, so thanks for taking the time from your busy schedule.

Now for my thoughts on all the photos:

ma-photo: This was a really interesting background...I certainly was drawn to it, but I felt like the bride and groom themselves were somehow separate from the scene, and I wished there could have been more interaction.

heatherfeather: Really lovely use of the lines and the ilght posts...I also loved the reflection on the wall, but I felt that the cars and street signs detracted from the focus of the couple.

patfureyphoto: Just a really incredible shot all around. I was instantly drawn to it. The lighting is superb, the perspective interesting, and the couple's expressions and placement is perfect. Really a gorgeous use of the surroundings to create a beautiful image.

mooglepepper: I liked the use of vignette here and the wide angle is interesting, but the photo feels a bit too dark for me.

agneizka: Just a gorgeous shot. I love the texture of the wall and the post processing that enhances it. The bride's pose also makes the shot stand out and really grabs my interest.

swartzy: I really love this shot, especially how use used the available light to highlight the bride and groom. The only thing that didn't appeal to me particularly was the pose...it almost feels a little too "orchestrated." Still, a really lovely shot.

crystal-pixel: I loved the interesting location here and how you framed the bride and groom in the archway, but it looks a bit overexposed. I also think the perspective could be more interesting if you went from a different angle.

mmmatt: I love the use of lines here to draw you to the couple, but I feel the scene is almost too busy with so many different lines and intersections. I lose my focus on the couple, though I really like the natural look to their pose.

cdonovan: The alley concept here is really interesting, as well as having the bride and her bridesmaids walk away from you. The texturization, however, really detracts from the photo for me. I am no longer looking at the bride but trying to figure out what is making the photo look almost stitched together.

camarochick: I really like the idea of this photo, but unfortunately, the late day shadows do not help here. The groom is almost completely in shadow, as well as the bride's face, which really makes me loose interest in the photo.

kinkajou: I love the beautiful gate you've placed the bride and groom next to, but the harsh mid-day lighting flattens the image. I like the simple pose you've used, but again, I feel a change in perspective could really make this image more interesting.

lilmomma: What a beautiful image! I love the mysteriousness of the subject and how you have the bride slightly turned back, though still hiding most of her face. The light from the window contrasted with the shadows adds depth and interest, and I love the elegant placement of her hand on the railing. Great use of location.

darrentroyC: This is a great shot for viewing the bride's entire dress, and I love how you've used the pillars to frame the bride. For me, though, the post processing you used to increase black in the photo destroys the natural beauty here.

tenoverthenose: I love this shot and would have picked it if this was the slow-shutter contest! It's an interesting perspective and I love the motion blur, but again, I think this would have been a perfect pick for "draggin' the shutter.

Thanks again for everyone who entered. I really enjoyed looking at everyone's photos!
  • Options
    MA-FOTOMA-FOTO Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Congrats Pat & lilmomma clap.gif wings.gif

ditto - nice work.

Mishka, thanks for the insightful review - much appreciated.
    Drive 50D ~ 24-70 L ~ 85mm ~ 28mm ~ Tammy 17-50 mm ~ Stuff
    ~
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    WOW i'm in shock! thanks Mishka, and congrats Pat and Angie!clap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    Yay Mishka! Great choices, great theme and a wonderful collection of photos by everyone! Congrats to Pat, Angie & Lilmomma!! Now I can't wait to see what PAT picks for his next theme. Whatever it is, I bet it is gonna be fun!
  • Options
    patfureyphotopatfureyphoto Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    Yay Mishka! Great choices, great theme and a wonderful collection of photos by everyone! Congrats to Pat, Angie & Lilmomma!! Now I can't wait to see what PAT picks for his next theme. Whatever it is, I bet it is gonna be fun!
    haha wow - didn't expect this! new thread coming once i think of something...
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2009
    Congrats Pat! Thanks Miska for the comments. On to the next one!!!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    Bummer, looks like I missed a fun one in my hiatus from dgrin... congrats Pat, Angie & Lilmomma!